Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Rear boot stay squeaking

JMK

Dear All
I wonder if someone might be able to give me some help. I've owned a R4 base model here in France (Creuse region). Its been in one family locally here since new and only 24k Kms, it drives like new, rust free etc but one thing drives me mad, the tailgate stay squeaks and cracks as you go over bumps.. Any tips on how to fix this, I guess that new ones are not available?
Cordialement
John

It sounds like the whole car is on its way out, you must sell it to me for a centime

Reactions: JMK
I stand corrected, I've just removed the boot stay and the squeak / cracking noise is still there.. am going to strip everything out until I find the cause... Here's a pic for the fans.. PS I found the original yellow headlight bulbs and refitted.. bit more French but not sure if its conforms to the control technique...

IMG_0917.jpeg

Hi John
If it's any consolation, I'm sure a lot of us have cars that have/have had tailgate squeaks.
You could try experimenting with the position of this part - it can make a huge difference (the tape helps, too!):

Inked20210310_133451_LI.jpg

Hi all thanks for all the comments and after removing pretty much everything (seatbelts and rear bench) I tracked it down to the tailgate adjustment. The weather seal is original and will try and rejuvenate with some gummi pflege (have used this before on door seals) or replace it later but it appears to be glued in which might remove paint etc. I adjusted the tailgate lock and the noise is much better than before. So a happy Monsieur here :)

IMG_0952.jpeg IMG_0950.jpeg

Have you tried to adjust the tailgate latch in the boot floor rather than the lock within the tailgate? You'll find if you loosen the two bolts the latch can be adjusted, so make a tight fit within the lock. You may have to close the tailgate with more vigour, but with the seals compressed and the catch holding the lock more securely under tension, this should significantly reduce or eliminate completely the rattling tailgate.

A little grease at the contact points of the latch and pin always helps. The boot floor and tailgate frame is rather flexy and will eventually squeak, no matter how good the latch adjustment is.

Hi all, I did loosen off the catch in the boot floor but it didn't seem to move hence I adjusted the tailgate lock instead. Will do some work on the seal and then have another go, will also lubricate the lock and see if that helps things. At least I've managed to work out where the noise was coming from, that alone feels like progress :) Thanks again all for the wise words of experience :)

I have a squeak too.. can't find it for the life of me and its starting to make me crazy,, never thought about the rear hatch door latch will try that next. When I got the car the front sway bar was rubbing the bottom A-arm so I ground it back a bit that solved that. Always something!

Back