Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

rear brake regulator valve

iancr900

Enthusiast
I've just dropped the rear axle ready for the usual chassis rebuild and I am going to replace all of the brake pipes.Ideally i'd like to get rid of the regulator valve.So the question is ,is it really important or is it just one of those "Citroen, Renualt lets do something really weird".I understand the theory behind it all but it just seems like overkill.

Being a Renault I've found they rarely do stuff just to be weird or overkill. OK, they do do weird things as like make the rear suspension bushes on the early cars impossible to replace, anyway I digress.

The rear proportioning valve is there to minimise the likelihood of the rear wheels locking under extreme brake pedal pressures and the rear of the car overtaking the front. I would suggest that the valve be left in place.

as I said, I know the theory behind it.Iwant to know if anyone has taken one off and if so was there any effect?

Renault fitted it for a good reason, but I don't know what the effect would be if it was removed. It is a complicated piece of kit that gets covered with mud and if it gets seized it's a pig to replace - but I'm not sure if all the parts are now available. If I wanted to remove my one I would fit a limiting valve from a later Mini as long as you have the dual circuit system. I would place it under the bonnet somewhere and plumb it in. It would be a very simple job to do with both outlets from the master cylinder going into the top of the Mini valve, and from the bottom of the valve the left hand outlet feeding the front brakes and the right hand to the rear brakes. The first outlet on the master cylinder would need to correspond with the outlet to the front brakes and the furthest outlet to the rear brakes. I reckon it would be better trying this than having no limiting system at all.

Steve

I tried a car without a brake limiting valve once. In heavy braking on a wet motorway it started fishtailing and nothing I could do would correct it as we snaked at speed towards stationary traffic. Fortunately it became maneageable after it had scrubbed off some speed.

Not something I would want to try again.

Skidding cars

Is that the one when I was with you approaching Meadowhall on the M1 and we were in 3 lanes of heavy traffic. We nearly hit the crash barrier, then nearly hit the embankment, then nearly hit the barrier again without touching another car. They must have parted like the Red Sea. Good driving on your part! Made your hands shake a bit though! :shock:

Thanks Clementine,first hand experience was what I was looking for,I shall refit the valve when the I replace the brake pipes.

Back