Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Rear brake shoes dislodged from pistons.

barry

Enthusiast
Grating noise while driving suddenly intensfied. Checked the wheel and found it very hot. Limped home and later managed to remove drum without too much effort.
Found shoe lugs outboard of pistons, but spring in place as per photo.
Not difficult to lever back into position. Perhaps too easy?
Any thoughts on cause/rectification gratefully received.

Merry Christmas to all
Barry

IMG_2045.jpg

Hi Barry
It could well be the little metal eyes that slot into the backplate from the back (the round springs [inked in the picture below] hook on to them). They eventually give up the ghost - I wouldn't be surprised if one or both of them is/are broken.
A decent replacement shoe set will contain these.
Good luck!

GTL rear brakes inked.JPG
1702815417563.jpeg

Thank you Andy. You’ve pointed me in exactly the right direction. Tried to pull out the eyes from backplate. One came, the other didn’t, so I assume still attached.
Interestingly though, the one removed is intact, and as far as I can feel the spring is also good.
Next step then is dismantle shoes assembly..... and given I’m already struggling with the top spring, if you can give me some tips on how to do that without losing my temper or a finger end, I’d be really grateful!

You're welcome!
I find it easiest to remove the handbrake cable first, then there's enough room to get a pair of mole grips on the lower spring. They make it relatively easy to remove/install the lower spring.
Like you, I always use a plastic tube over the axle thread - much safer that way!
Once the lower spring and the shoe retaining springs are disconnected, you can remove the whole shoe assembly (as detailed in the 4ldesylvie page).

Tutorial is over here https://www.la4ldesylvie.fr/changement-des-garnitures-de-freins-arriere-rattrapage-automatique
Your R4 has the Bendix type system so focus on Bendix.
When replacing the brakeshoe set always replace the brake cylinder too because they belong to the complete brake set.
Tutorial is over here https://www.la4ldesylvie.fr/changement-des-garnitures-de-freins-arriere-rattrapage-automatique
Your R4 has the Bendix type system so focus on Bendix.
When replacing the brakeshoe set always replace the brake cylinder too because they belong to the complete brake set.
Dank u veel J

You're welcome!
I find it easiest to remove the handbrake cable first, then there's enough room to get a pair of mole grips on the lower spring. They make it relatively easy to remove/install the lower spring.
Like you, I always use a plastic tube over the axle thread - much safer that way!
Once the lower spring and the shoe retaining springs are disconnected, you can remove the whole shoe assembly (as detailed in the 4ldesylvie page).
Thanks again Andy. I’ll be at it tomorrow. Hopefully just get it back together to enable use until I can get a replacement delivered.

Likely the shoes came away from the piston when the drum was pulled off.

I've lost too many fingers to try to remove springs in situ. Pull the shoes outwards from the slave cylinder then upwards and away from the bottom retainer. All with the springs still attached.

You're welcome!
Blessed words @Andy McGhee "I find it easiest to remove the handbrake cable first, then there's enough room to get a pair of mole grips on the lower spring. They make it relatively easy to remove/install the lower spring"

Today was the first time i did this work, and lower spring wasvery hard to fit.

I've lost too many fingers to try to remove springs in situ. Pull the shoes outwards from the slave cylinder then upwards and away from the bottom retainer. All with the springs still attached.
Agreed 100%! The "ouch" factor when fitting & removing brake shoes is always a large one and it's a pity workshop manuals don't explain this way of changing them!

I agree with Malcolm, removal and refitting of this type of shoes is very easy if you take them out as an assembly with all parts attached, after you remove the spring retainers.
Again, these are not easy to remove or fit if you don't have the right tool. Find an old screwdriver that fits through the spring inner diameter, cut its tip off and grind a slot at the end at a width of the spring's wire diameter. You can then be a ble to safely push the spring hook over the retaining eye.

Back