Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

rear bumper wanted

mathiszig

Enthusiast
Hi
Had someone drive into the back of my lovely R4 in May, and it all looked rather bleak as driver gave wrong details... anyway it's finally sorted and the insurance company has settled and given me £1000 plus the car back!!!!
so, to start repairs I need a rear bumper and fixings.
'der franzose' has got some but just thought I check whether anyone has got one closer to home.
Thanks Lucie

Der franzose bumpers are not a good copy of those on the R4.

They are a different shape and don't fit around the R4's body very well.

You can buy new rear bumpers from a Renault dealer, which is probably worth it.

Always a good idea to get some new bumper irons if the rear end smash bent them. All the rear irons come in a kit with all the bolts and fittings so you will have everything to hand.

Sorry to hear about your car. Who is your insurer? Glad they paid out in the end - and gave you your car back!

no luck

Hi all
Thanks for the advice. I ve tried 2 Renault dealers around london and both have come back and said that renault no longer makes the rear bumper or brackets for R4.
I ve now taken the bumper off and had a look, it's actually the brackets which are comletely bend, bumper could be rescued. Is there any point of me trying to re shape brackets??? also emailed a place in germany and NL for spares, but no resonse. Are the 'Franzose' ones really a complete mis fit??
The car is up for an MOT and i fear that there will be a few other problems such as brakes and some welding, so not sure if i should 'run with the money' and buy a another one, or stick with it and re- invest....
Thanks for your help
Lucie

And they don't have the brackets either! Checked with Lifestyle Renault (they were really helpful) and they confirmed that Renault no longer makes the bumpers. Brackets are still available but cost around £90 for the lot. Would they fit the 'franzose' ones???
Tried all day but can't get brackets of damaged bumper....

I doubt they would fit the franzose bumpers. The franzose bumpers are pretty different. But I'm not completely certain.

Renault really shouldn't have stopped making bumpers for the Renault 4 since there are still so many of them on the roads.

Is there any point of me trying to re shape brackets???

It is very easy, I have reshaped lots of badly bent ones, just clamp them firmly in a vice ath the point where they have been bent to straighten them. Some minor adjustment may be necessary when trying to fit the bumper on them on the car, and it can be easily done with an adjustable wrench.

Derek (Renospeed) mentioned that bumpers are now in short supply. Arrange to see him - he'll straighten things out. I could do the same if you fancy a visit - it's been a while so it would be good, but I am slightly further away.

No new rear bumpers here sadly , but I have a couple that are only slightly bent. The irons can be straightened.

Don't go buying a new car - yours is lovely.

thanks all. Decided NOT to give up on my lovely car yet and also realised that my technical ability is limited! So I am taken her down to see Derek on Monday. Hopefully he can sort the bumper out and also do bodywork and other bits.
Might even make it up to Bedfordshire one of these days.
Will keep you posted.

Back