Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Rear lights issue

ryanrenault4gtl

Enthusiast
Wonder if anyone could help,

I had made a video but noticed I can't post video files.

The right indicator is working fine. But when the left one is on the rear lights (both) also flash along with it. Has anyone encountered this problem?

We had two blown bulbs, replaced them. Cleaned all connections. Tightened battery terminals. The switch on the dash is fine and has been working but we're randomly encountering that 3 bulbs in total flash when indicating left and only the 1 when indicating right.

Our brake light has also decided to stop working, we've cleaned the connections, the switch at the brake pedal is fine, and the 2 connections in the engine bay ok - we think it might be the master brake switch that's gone - does that sound right to you guys?

Any help would be grately appreciated

Cheers

Ry

If you've other bulbs flashing when your indicators are on you have a defective earth somewhere. What should happen is this: the current from the flasher travels to the lightbulb, lights it & then passes to earth, through the car body, thereby completing the circuit. In your case the bulb is flashing, but the electricity can't get back to earth, so is passing through the other bulbs in order to do so. Using a decent multimeter check that the indicator's earth is correct by connecting one side of the meter to the bulb holder & the other to the car's body; I suggest the boot clip, as this is on the car body proper, as opposed to the area around the lights. This should show zero resistance. If this doesn't, remove the indicator bulb and measure the voltage in the bulb holder with the indicators on. It should go from 0 to 12 (or 6, if you've an older car) volts and back again. While doing this look at the other rear bulbs & see if they're still flashing in sequence. If they're not then it's clearly a defective earth somewhere, as the meter's resistance is far more than the indicator bulb.

I hope this helps! More advice if you need it!

Hi Ryan

It looks like a bad earth. A common culprit will be the earth cable at the front end of the car which is bolted to the inner wing and connects to the back of the indicator/sidelight light unit. Unbolt it from the inner wing, abrade the ring connector surfaces and both sides of the bolt hole on the inner wing. Change the bolt, washers and nut if rusty. If it does not cure the problem. Try the earth for the rear light unit.

Is the non-working brake light on the same side as the indicator problem by any chance? If so, my suggestion might cure all of the problems in one go.

Best Wishes

Last edited:
As above it'll be the rear light earth connection on the side there the indicator is switching other lights. There is no separate earth wire - the earth is through the lamp housing bolts to the rear wing. On one type of light housing the earth also tries to travel through rivets. For this you might need to add an earth wire to the light housing and earth it somewhere convenient.

Thank you so much both, very sorry for my late reply! I'm awful on my phone, we've managed to sort it out. Bad brake switch and there was an issue with the earth, all sorted and MOT passed. Thank you very much for your help! After working on the car so long, shattered, id forgotten to reply my gratitude! Cheers guys

Back