Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Rear Tracking on Early R4s

malcolm

& Clementine the Cat
Does anyone know how to adjust the rear tracking on a '65 Renault 4? The outer rear suspension mounts do not appear to have the adjustment slots found on later cars, and I don't have a decent manual here to reference.

I've got a lot of rear wheel steering over bumps, not helped by the car apparently still having it's original rear dampers. Hoping to fix it before the 500 mile drive home.

The early official manual says that it is adjusted from the INNER arm mounting (oval holes there, too). I have never worked on such an early rear arm, so I cannot confirm it.
Have you checked the rear wheel alignment to see what goes wrong? Also, are the bushes OK?

Excellent, thanks. I'll give the inner mounting a try tomorrow. I found a French language manual here, but after studying it for hours this afternoon it only seemed to say how to measure the tracking and not how to alter it.

The bushes don't look too bad, but the LHS rear wheel is pointing too far inwards causing the rear of the car to steer to the left when going over bumps. It takes a lot of concentration to drive in a straight line.

Back