Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Rear Wheel Bearings.

ChrisH

Enthusiast
I have a 1989 Renault 4GTL with the 1100cc engine.

Both rear wheel bearings, although OK, are noisy. I need to replace them?

Anyone know the bearing numbers so I can get new from my local bearings supplier without the need to get the old bearings off first?

Many thanks,

ChrisH

Chris! Rearwheel bearings are standard-type You should be able to get them at your local parts-shop. Take old ones out first to be sure What size they are. measure Inner Dia/Outer Dia and Width.
Frontwheel bearings are specially made so not easy to find non-original.

These can be ordered as a kit from most motor factors. Advantage of this is that you get the inner hub seal as well. You will need a puller to get the inner bearing off.
However, the easy way would be to check the bearings first and if it's just the outer ones that are making the noise AND the rear hub seals are not letting grease into the brake drums, just buy one kit and replace the outers.

Hi Reidalpine/Steve,

I was wanting the rear wheel bearings part numbers so I could get them from a motor factor or my local bearings supplier without having to remove the bearings from the car first. The car is in France but I will get the bearings from the UK. Maybe I will have to remove an inner and outer race and leave the car on a jack for a few months.

Also, how can you definitely tell if it's the inner or outer race that is the noisy one? It seems too hard to me to determine as the noise seems to come from the general bearing area rather than a particular inner or outer area.

ChrisH

Hi again Chris! firstly,what's the R-number on your car? (Oval plate on firewall) I have some pt.numbers but the bearings are of diff.sizes so I need the R-number to be sure..
Alsouseful to know country-specs of your car.. 100=France

Numbers are : (Inner) 08 57 615 500 (22x47x20,75)
08 57 591 700 (25x52x16,25)

(Outer)08 57 615 385 (17x40x13,2)
77 00 502 547 (20x47x15,25)
08-numbers are the old pt's system-so there probably exists a 77-number for these as well....

Best bet would be to bring old ones to factor to be sure it's correct!
-Personally I would never change just outer if that's the one making noise,they are so cheap so I would def. change the pair while your'e
down and dirty anyways -R.

Chris, you didn't say the car was in France - I thought it was on your doorstep! My advice would be to buy two kits from a motor factor and you will have everything you need. There is no point buying bearings only to find out that you need hub seals as well.

http://www.firstline.co.uk/op3/f_gr...48.jpg&product=Wheel+Bearings&action=graphics

There do appear to be different sizes of bearing used - something I was unaware of. The only sure bet is to remove and measure the bearings when in France. To check which bearing is making the noise just check the outer faces after removing the hub. You will soon see the pitting in the bearing race and if it is just the outer ones then life will be a lot easier just replacing those - it's nothing to do with the cost of the bearing but the extra hassle involved.

Hi,
Reidalpine - The R no. is 1128. The car is lhd - and the spec no. is I think 5100 (or 4 5100). Thanks for the numbers - are you able to check they are the right ones.

Steve - Well I am in France and the car IS on my doorstep! But I will be returning to the UK end of the month-ish for the summer so I could take a bearing off complete if necessary and bring it back to the UK.

Have also got excessive rear wheel toe in - which may have caused the bearing noise - I have posted a comment on another thread, the thread is now a few months old on this one.

ChrisH

sorry-my old parts-catalog doesn't cover to the R1128 -someone else on here prob.has one so can tell you. Your other number (4 5 100 ) means it is French spec'd.. soft damping etc.( country-code 100)
Hope you get it fixed soon! -R.

Hi,

Steve - Well I am in France and the car IS on my doorstep! But I will be returning to the UK end of the month-ish for the summer so I could take a bearing off complete if necessary and bring it back to the UK.

ChrisH

All these people who keep darting between France and the UK - can't keep track of them:rolleyes:

I would suggest then that you bring one hub back with you but I am 99.9% certain that the part number of the kit you need is Quinton Hazell QWB 310 available from most motor factors.

Hi Chris,
well Steve is right as i've just done mine they are QWB 310 and easy to get.

Hi Chris,
same model but 1986 but think they are the same up tp 1990.

richard

I have a 1989 Renault 4GTL with the 1100cc engine.

Both rear wheel bearings, although OK, are noisy. I need to replace them?

Anyone know the bearing numbers so I can get new from my local bearings supplier without the need to get the old bearings off first?

Many thanks,

ChrisH
If they are OK (Not slack?), Then would some grease do the trick?--they are not sealed-for-life,but Timken taper rollers-very good indeed! I have never replaced any in about 460600miles!The caps have to be tapped off,working from opposite sides-I use hammer & punch to start,then a pair of gas pliers- you cant avoid denting the sides a bit,but inner edge stays circular ok

Back