Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Rear wheel bearings

Gsouthee

Enthusiast
Hi Irma flew through her MOT with flying colours, however the tester did think that the rear bearing may be a little dry and will need doing eventually. So I thought I'd look to see what ones I want and bugger me there are so many different part numbers all for allegedly the same year and model.

So question is how the hell do I find out what ones I want?????

I really dig Irma but find parts is a minefield.

Cheers Gary

Hi Gary. If you remove the bearings you should be able to see etched on them a number, or series of numbers. If you go to your nearest bearing suppliers, I'm sure there is one in your nearest large town, they should be able to cross reference them and supply new ones. Don't forget to replace the seals also, which they should also be able to supply.
Regards Brian.

Cheers Brian, I was hoping to source some for putting on the shelf so I can fit at leisure. But it seems this may be the only way. I get very confused with some many variations of the parts so far same make 3 different part numbers for allegedly the same year and model of car!!!!

Yes I understand your dilemma Gary, ordering parts can sometimes be a minefield, especially from suppliers abroad where it's not always easy to return things and get them changed. Maybe for now just make a note of the part numbers on your bearings, and try repacking them with fresh grease, tightening the centre nut just finger tight, and seeing how they feel. Perhaps they will give you a few more miles yet. Worth a try I think.
Regards Brian.

another case of aftermarket suppliers incorrectly crossreferencing superceded parts
looking in the genuine parts book pdf avaliable here will give you oval plate numbers that correspond to sizes needed
after 1977 all rear bearings should be same till end of production in my 40 year experience so shouldn't be a problem tbh

Spanish built cars, even late ones, use the pre-77 sizes and inner seal arrangement.

Cheers for all replies, part numbers are a bl**dy nightmare. Still get there in the end.

G

Hi all So there I am down the Garage after a few days off and I see a box the fella gave me when \i bought the car, now I know there was a new dizzy cap and fan belt and plug leads etc in the along with 2 rear light lenses. But surprise when I look through it all there are a set of both front and rear bearing kits as well. Well bugger me. So thanks one and all for advice but this silly old bugger should have had a look in the box first!

Back