Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Rear windows for R4

To me it looks like there is some kind of frame from inside.

It would help much nowadays while driving around at 35°C (and more) in shade

Thank you for the photo Paul :waving:

No Petak I couldn't see one. It's a bit like the early Minis with drilled glass and an appropriate rubber seal. But I may be wrong, it has been known

I've a set on my 4l here if you need any more information.

why not make a template of your glass,bring to glassguy he can drill holes before he tempers the new glass,shouldn't be
hard to adopt hinges and lock from say a Mini....
PS put hinges in the Front part of window or you wont see 100km/h anymore c",) -Reid

reidalpine.....something like that i have in my mind. adopt hinges from some other car to R4.

the important thing to do right is the rubber-surround either use a soft hollow round-profile that closes nicely towards the glass or use
a round one with a lip (like a Q or a U with lip) -Hope you get it to your liking petak -Reid.

Yes Edwin. There were one or two cars with similar opening rear windows but the owners were never with them even when I returned later. They look very neat and from the sounds of it, very scarce. The search begins eh?
Thanks for looking for them for me. At least i know they exist and I can now look for them. Thanks again

Hi Edwin,
I have a set of these opening 'quarter' windows. They were used here in Australia on the earliest R4's, assembled in either Sydney or Melbourne. Post about 1964/5 they were replaced with fixed glass, and the rear door glass, which had been fixed on these earlier cars, was made into the more familiar two sliding pieces.
Do you realize that the body work around those opening windows have small recessed areas where the hinges are mounted to the body? They are about 5mm deep [on the back edge of the 'C' column], by about 20mm long. As I am restoring my R4 as a 'standard' version circa 1962/3 [with a fixed metal panel blanking out that window altogether] I have mine surplus to requirements. I could sell them to you but given the weight of glass the freight from Australia to the UK might be hefty.
Perhaps, if you are able to help me out with a 3 spoke steering wheel from a1962/3 R3/4 I would be more than happy to do a straight swap. Steering wheels come up from time to time on leboncoin, but so far I have had no luck getting any responses from the French sellers. I don't think they want to be bother shipping this far.
Don't know if the above has helped. Good luck with your plans.
Ron

Hi Ron.I was wondering about how they fixed onto the car. As I have never seen them in the flesh, I didn't know what the implications are. Than means that I have to press into the body a small dent for each hinge. Will think about that.
I have had good luck with buying from leboncoin, and with delivery. I will see what i can do re a three spoke steering wheel.

Thanks for you email. Edwin

Back