Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

red r4 in serbia

reggie

Enthusiast
hi everyone
this is my first post so bear with me
there is a reno 4 in serbia i want to buy but i dont no the best way to go about it, how to get it home without being shot, robbed or any thing else, legally of course, whats customs like ? etc

regards Reg
(in sunny Leeds)

What's the problem?

Make sure, the car is running and the brakes are fully functional (have the seller swear by it's life :wink:), arm yourself with enough tools and adequate spare parts, get yourself a short term license (with assurance) travel to Serbia and do the trip back home. With a second car and a second person who is willing to help the trip should be accomplishable.

All the customs/tax processes have to take place when you enter your country with the car.

Good luck and take pictures and keep us up to date! :D

David

r4 in serbia

hi david
blimey you think its that simple ?
ive been in the motor trade 40 years, its 22 year old, with no petrol in it, tank will be rusty, no doubt hand brakes been on, engine oil will be treacle, the list is endless, i would want to recomision it before going 1 klm, lovely thought tho. & being an r4 it would probably do it, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to get a new r4 so it needs to be wrapped in cotton wool back to the uk. here i would go through it from back to front, and rust proof it like an oil rig before i went anywhere near a road, ime just worried about being scammed, shot, or arrested, i just dont understand how things work in that area, ime 55 years old & your supposed to learn as you go through life.
thank you for your post.
regards reg

..I have an idea Reggie..

..You may or may not know that there are a couple of chaps in Serbia who have been enthusiastic contributors on this site and there is in fact a big R4 enthusiastic club there - One of them is Sava and the other is Pasha. Sava is a student I think.

Why don't you send them both a pm mentioning that Ian Stanbury from this site suggested you contact them. The reason I suggested mentioning my name is that Sava was lucky enough to receive one of my fab cd presents a while ago!!

See if either of them would be prepared for a few euros to go and have a look at the car and report back to you.

If it is genuine and you are going to go ahead, Sava may even be persuaded to drive it back here for you for a fee and a return ticket - Worth a try?

• 2 cv.jpg
    2 cv.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 216
..Greetings John..

..Any chance you could you translate the advert for us if its not too long please?

A fine BiH evening to you.

• R4.jpg
    R4.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 207
hi david
blimey you think its that simple ?
ive been in the motor trade 40 years, its 22 year old, with no petrol in it, tank will be rusty, no doubt hand brakes been on, engine oil will be treacle, the list is endless, i would want to recomision it before going 1 klm, lovely thought tho. & being an r4 it would probably do it, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to get a new r4 so it needs to be wrapped in cotton wool back to the uk. here i would go through it from back to front, and rust proof it like an oil rig before i went anywhere near a road, ime just worried about being scammed, shot, or arrested, i just dont understand how things work in that area, ime 55 years old & your supposed to learn as you go through life.
thank you for your post.
regards reg

Excuse me Reggie, but I did not know that the car you plan to buy is 22 years out of use. How should I? You didn't write all the facts in your first posting.
What about trailering?
It would be a hell of a trip and I doubt that the car is worth all the hassle.
Did you consider to rebuilt a used one?
With 5k Euros (+ estimated shipping & handling costs of around 1000 Euro) you have a lot of "toy-money" + you can pic your favourite colour, know your car from the inside out...

Just my 2 Cents...

David

hi ian
i dont realy want it started up it needs preparing first, plus it might be that good they might gazump me ? i had until last summer a vw califonia with tow bar i wouldnt have thought twice about zooming down there, i realy dont no what to do at the moment, see what nekac has to say when he gets back to me, thanks anyway,
regards Reg

r4 in serbia

Excuse me Reggie, but I did not know that the car you plan to buy is 22 years out of use. How should I? You didn't write all the facts in your first posting.
What about trailering?
It would be a hell of a trip and I doubt that the car is worth all the hassle.
Did you consider to rebuilt a used one?
With 5k Euros (+ estimated shipping & handling costs of around 1000 Euro) you have a lot of "toy-money" + you can pic your favourite colour, know your car from the inside out...

Just my 2 Cents...

David

sorry david i thought you had read the advert for the car:(:(i can get a recovery truck but its 1600 miles there & the same back (a long day)

Good morning Sir Ian

The advert itself was very poor but it seems to be genuine. There were some photos (even I posted them here), the car was stored over the last 22 years and was given to nekac. He seems to be young but fair, he doesn't know much about R4's.

Hello,

But what about regulation in your country? In our is impossible to import car, which aren't old enough (for oldtimer is 25 years), or the car must have min. euro3.

In the UK its possible to import and register almost anything, as long as it will pass an MOT :).

red 4 in serbia

hi vik
not a problem in the uk. (unless anyone knows different)
Regards Reg

heeey

..You may or may not know that there are a couple of chaps in Serbia who have been enthusiastic contributors on this site and there is in fact a big R4 enthusiastic club there - One of them is Sava and the other is Pasha. Sava is a student I think.

Why don't you send them both a pm mentioning that Ian Stanbury from this site suggested you contact them. The reason I suggested mentioning my name is that Sava was lucky enough to receive one of my fab cd presents a while ago!!

See if either of them would be prepared for a few euros to go and have a look at the car and report back to you.

If it is genuine and you are going to go ahead, Sava may even be persuaded to drive it back here for you for a fee and a return ticket - Worth a try?

Hello chaps,nobody has seen that car yet,John Doe will probably inform you about tha car in the future!!! :smile:

Pasha :shock:

If anybody needs help exporting from the Balkans, just let me know. My brother-in-law owns an import\export business here in Sarajevo.

Back