Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault 4 for sale on eBay

There are a couple of R4s on E-bay. Neither have MOT or tax.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2192&item=4500416314&rd=1
Is a white one in Colchester that needs some welding underneath. Looks presentable in the photos, so might be worth checking out.

Edit:
I have found the mot certificate Please find list of mot failure rear fog light not working OSF side light not working NS headlamp light not working correctly NSF indicator not working Head Lamp focus in correct Hand brake efficiency low ? 3 mounting exhaust system needs replacing Welding both side sills corroded at at front anti roll bar NSR Chassis corroded at suspension mounting rear floor OSR chassis corroded at seat belt mounting. I hope this helps you !! happy bidding
Ooch - not such a good one after all! Still sold for £156

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2192&item=4500252476&rd=1
The second is in Hull. The car has been vandalised and the owners are threatening it with the crusher.
UPDATE: Unlucky Renault...

They are a bummer these photos - it's true they can make anything look nice - you've got to go to look at the cars. Also you've got to get one with an MOT if you don't do your own welding - otherwise it can turn out expensive.

Are you getting fed up with looking at cars that turn out to be not so good PPD?

Sorry to hear that - that white one in London looked really good from the photos. Pity these cars tend to suffer from rear chassis rot. It's also a pity that there is so little distinction in price between a good Renault 4 and a bad one - otherwise it could be profitable to set up in business sorting the poor things out.

Have you considered 2CVs? I struggle to cope with them myself - too slow and noisy - but they seem generally to be offered with new chassis and MOTs. Have a look at them all on http://www.citroen-2cv.org.uk/forsale.htm

The Renault 6 is exceptionally cool - but don't they use the R4 chassis?

This one looks like a beauty!

Bonsoir Four fans,

I found this little beauty on eBay.fr earlier this week, and was half thinking about bidding for it myself, but being realistic I've already got too many projects and too little time / money, so thought I'd share it with you instead. It sounds like a good car - I sent an e-mail to the seller, and he says it's been garaged for the last 25 years and is rust-free with just 84000km and service history. The grill has been replaced, but it otherwise sounds like a very straight and original early 1970s R4 - complete with new tyres, battery, and master cylinder. The only problem I'm aware of is that somebody managed to spill brake fluid on one of the front wings when they changed the master cylinder, thus stripping off a small patch of that gorgeous lime green paintwork. Other than that, it's a tidy one-owner car. The seller is acting on behalf of his grandfather (who owns the car), and says if the reserve price isn't met he might accept the highest bid anyway. The car's located near Calais, and deserves a loving home (with a dry garage!).

Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4512459915&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

but if it doesn't work, look for it on eBay.fr under the 'automobiles de collection' section, or do a search for Renault 4L.

Bonne soirée à tous!

La Poste

Hi sH, welcome to the forum.

I think the guy who bought the '69 is pretty brave even if it did sell for only £75. Sounded rusty. What is your '72 like - does it need much work to get it back on the road?

:clementi:

First time caller, long time listener etc.

Yeah, it did look rough - not much puts me off but that was very borderline. I did go and look at a white early 4 quite a few years ago in Llandudno, so I'm wondering if it's the same car - it's possible. £50 I seem to remember it was, but I left it (and the LHD GTL the people had as well...)

My '72 is probably not much better. I bought it in 1994 (for way too much money) and ran it for about 9 months. The head gasket went suddenly not long after buying it and dumped half a ton of water into the sump, which did mega damage to the liners and pistons (it used to smoke like mad). Then the block froze and split. It was the first water cooled car I'd owned, you see... Anyway, I abandoned it in the back garden and bought a Dyane. It's still there, along with an automatic R8 (which has virtually disintegrated) and a rolled GTL which I was given. You can hardly see the things anymore for the brambles.

Out of sight, out of mind. However I do often think about digging it out, I went to examine it a couple of months back and the bodyshell isn't that bad considering. The chassis was a maze of patches anyway, most of which have fallen off. The plan was to use the early body on the GTL chassis and stick in a 1400cc engine (a lad in a neighbouring village had a red V reg 4TL with a Mk1 R5 Gordini engine in it - it looked like a scrapper and used to terrorize the Fiesta crowd... I was very impressed). So I dunno. I'm one of those idiots who just can't bear to part with cars, although I finally let the Dyane go a couple of weeks back so maybe I'm seeing the light slowly... I've only got about 10 at the moment...

10 cars is quite a lot (or is that just Dyanes?). I strayed up to 5 cars at one point but now I'm down to 3, and for the first time in years they are all working at the same time :shock:

I've been looking for a pre '73 Renault 4 (with bench front seats) for a while. I've been smitten by the bench seat cars since I saw one for sale in Brackley, and was also thinking about a 1400 conversion with GTL suspension and brakes. I think that would make quite a cool car.

Pity this forum wasn't going in 1994. You could have had my 30k mile 850cc engine. I tried to sell it through the Renault Owner's Club, but it ended up going into a skip during a house move.

PS - Your soundhog website reminds me of a friend (Robert) who keeps sneaking obscure (but good) music onto the garage MP3 player. You could probably make use of the Renault 4 song...

Make use of it? Er... (!)

Shame about the engine, yeah. I did have one knocking around out of a 5L but it ended up going to the scrap as well during one of my rare mad clear outs (of which I need a whole load more). If I can ever retrive the car out of it's current resting place, then the engine'll probably be the least of my problems... It would be a shame for it to join the rest of them in rot hell. We'll see. Just got 3 Beetles, a 2CV and an R12 to sort/scrap/shift first... I should really be in the garage waving a welder about or something ratehr than sitting here typing...

...nah, too cold out. Maybe tomorrow.

Back