Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault 4 general repair information wanted

alewis

Enthusiast
Speedo Cable
Any idea how I remove this It seems stuck in the gearbox, I removed it from the speedo in the end ?

Rear Shocks
I have removed the rear suspension to carry out chassis repairs and have noted only the passenger side shock absorber extends on its own. They are both original. Does this mean the drivers side one has had it ?

Outer Chassis Bracket
My Outer chassis bracket is corroded, I have seen these on der Franzose website but am worried that it looks tricky with the bushes.
My plan is to try and weld it and if I damage the bush get a new bracket and bush. Are these bushes easily availible and If not which one would it be on the der Franzose website as they have loads of different sizes !

The bracket before removing rust ! (:( hole in the side is about twice as big now)
Left.JPG

Window Locks
Does anyone know a magic compond for putting these back on tidyily (mine have all fallen off!) ?

Many thanks in advance,
Andrew

Hi Andrew-I seem to recall there's a small set-screw on the side of where the cable attaches to the gearbox that needs to be loosened.
shockers need to be taken out held in upright position and piston pumped several times up and down..
the glued-on window-locks could be a pain! better go for the ones which are Screwed through the glass That means you'll have to locate glass with holes in them,as all car-glass is tempered so can't be drilled out afterwards...
You might try cyano-glue the one for gluing inner-mirror in place but most likely you will find it falls off again...

Opps forgot to say completely removed the set screw and poured WD40 in but still had no luck with the speedo cable.

Will give that a try with the shocks thanks for the advice.

Il give that a go for the window locks.

Many thanks,
Andrew

some of them have kind of a "fork"-shaped hold-down where they attaches but I'm sure you'd seen if it did,There's a rubber-O-ring around the cable holding muck out this can hold it down quite good in the ridge...
Your best bet is to clean glass and mating surface with silicone-remover first then scrape mating-surface a little to give glue something to bite into-when it's on put some more glue carefully around the knob,it won't show as is transparent.

The rear dampers should extend if they are gas-pressurised ones. So, either driver's side damper is defective (has lost its pressure), or someone had put another one, non-pressurized at some time. Anyway, they have to be replaced with the correct pair. To remove the self-extending one, tie it with wire before removing the damper-to-suspension arm pin bolt, this will stop it from extending.

Replacing the rear arm bushes is a hassle, don't try this before you have read the procedure in the factory workshop manual or Revue Technique Automobile (Haynes does not cover it).

The best glue for later window locks is the stuff used for inner mirrors glued on the windscreen. It will work wonders, provided you apply the instructions correctly, and take your time to clean both the glass and the lock pin really well.

Hmm, Interesting, I think il leave it as it is put it back on when I finish and then get a new one so I can easily compare the difference in ride quality :p

found the Revue Technique Automobile with google.

Is it only in French? Because I found a French one.

found the Revue Technique Automobile with google.

Is it only in French? Because I found a French one.

Only in French yes. but then you have Clymer and Haynes and autobooks all 3in English.there are also at least 1 German book out there can't remember publishers name..

My hynes arriwed this weak and with this french pdf only for pictures I think I'm covered for work.

Thanks for the info

I actually have a paper copy of MR175. The problem I have is when it talks about the rear bushes it appears to say DONT DO IT !!!

Can it be done ?

Also some good news after working the other shock in and out a bit they now are both the same pressure. If i lean on them hard they go in. Hopefully thats good enough.

And still no luck with the speedo cable !

The Franzose bushes will fit the GTL - just need to cut some material from the bottom at the rear of the new ones to clear the bottom of the chassis.

The old bushes need to be cut off which is easy enough with an angle grinder so long as you remember there is a step in the mounting. New ones knock on with a hammer and plenty of lubrication. You need to get the orientation and distance knocked on perfect or the rear suspension becomes difficult to refit so some sort of simple alignment jig could be handy - the bushes can't be removed again once they are on the suspension beam.

• rear-outer-mount.jpg
    rear-outer-mount.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 51
Those are the ones. Not identical to the GTL but they fit. They are handed left and right. They are a suspension off job to fit.

Brialliant Thanks, Suspensions already off was trying to work out if there was any way to weld the original without removing !!!

Back