Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault 4 - original 1967 for sale - starts and runs

steev

Enthusiast
I am about to offer my 1967 (F reg) Renault 4L for sale. Starts and runs, everything works except heater switch. Low mileage 42k. Original interior in very good condition. Bodywork is very good but paintwork dull and scruffy - simple respray needed.

Thats a really nice looking example, real time warp capsule, good luck with sale.

Car is a 1967 Renault 4L RHD which if you look on ‘how many left’ is down to very, very low single figures with a slightly older one in the Renault museum. Mileage is around 42k (67k km) which is exactly the same as it’s last MOT in 1978 - all documents are with the car to that date which is why it doesn’t appear on DVLA database as everything is on paper.

Mechanically everything has been made to work with rebuilt 845cc engine which starts easily and runs sweetly, brakes reconditioned (including tubing), recored radiator, rebuilt ignition, rechromed bumpers with rubber overriders, original door mirrors, etc. What attracted me to the car around 7 years ago was the condition of original interior. Bodywork and mechanics can be rebuilt but an original interior can never be recreated - especially with the original ‘smell’. Paintwork is scruffy but apart from very slight dents mainly due to age marks on lightweight steel used is good with only small amount of welding of plates in drivers footwell, at the front seat belt anchorage and chassis rear corner. Some rubber around rear door has perished and is missing. Original rubber floor mats (no fancy carpets in this budget car) are inside the car and headlining is intact apart from one very small tear.
The engineer who took the car under his wing has performed miracles as some engine parts for the older 845cc engine are not available. He ‘made’ parts by adapting more recent ones. Others being very rare have been Ebayed by me from darkest France - really taxed my schoolboy French with help from Google.

My aim was to restore the car to original as it is so rare and any parts needed have been replaced with original. For instance the rebuilt engine is original, the brake cylinders have been reconditioned and the original radiator has been recored albeit with a modern more efficient core.

Unfortunately health problems have brought my efforts to a halt hence the reason for sale. I will look for a buyer whose aim is to continue my work at restoring this very rare probably uniquely preserved piece of Renault history.

I can be contacted by message on 07885 146670 to view.

Back