Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault 4s stranded!!

SJC400

Enthusiast
I've been offered 3 x R4's but they are stranded in Guernsey, they are mine to take away, but there is a technical hitch! The cost of ferry is £165 per car, then you need to pay a tow truck to tow them on and another to tow them off, both sinc'd with arrival and departure of the freight ferry. That's not all, then there is a cost of £550 to get them to the end destination :-(
Anybody got any bright ideas???
The cars are all Resto's and not worth a great deal, but I'm trying to save them......... Anyone?:dontknow:Ren1.pngRen1.png
Ren3.pngRen3.pngRen1.png

What about someone sharing costs and taking a car..... or 2?

I'd have a look at hiring a trailer and go get them. One by one. And thats assuming you have something with a tow bar...

Over and above the cost of getting them to / from the ferry, bear in mind that unless they run, the ferry operator might well be very reluctant to have them on, they tend not to like anything that can't be driven on and off under its own power. Years back I had all sorts of bother getting accident damaged stuff back from France for that reason.

I once had a job driving a VW Golf to Maidenhead from Portsmouth, but it was inside a Luton! Just a thought!!

I'd love the adventure you suggest, but time will not allow these days, unfortunately! :-(
I Also have estate car with towbar and use of a car trailer, but 3 times to Guernsey and back?!!!
Not really a viable proposition, the cars are not in the best condition, probably have a value of about £400 each? One may not even be restorable. it's a 2 out of 3 project, I would imagine. I've done a few 4's now, once you find corrosion, it's always far worse than you first think and being stood in long grass hasn't done them any favours!
I've spoken to the ferry co' and they are fine with things towed on and off at £165 a car + any towing fee's either end.
I'm in touch with the owner and I've told him I'm working on finding a way to move the cars and he has them on reserve for me.

Hi I have a friend in Guernsey and asked him about this. he says to be aware that cars in greenhouses rot in really strange places due to the high humidity. He also says to bring back to the UK would incur VAT to so be aware of that as well. Sorry it couldn't be more helpful.

Back