Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault 5 Mk II (Supercinq) Automatic

Hi Folks!

I'm new to this forum. I passed my test in 1987 and had 3 R5 Mk I's between 1988-1991, and since 1991 I have had a Motability car as I have a disability. Last week I was most fortunate to buy a MK II (Supercinq) 5 door Renault 5 automatic in mint condition and with only 26,400 miles on the clock. There are a few minor scratches and the only rust that I can find is a small scratch on the paint work of the step/sill of the drivers door and a small rust bubble less then half the size of my thumbnail under the window rubber also on the drivers door. The car's history is that it was bought in 1988 (the original bill of sale has been stapled to the car's manual and there are old MOT certificates but no service history documentation) and kept in a garage and then sold to the 2nd owner who also keep it in a garage and worked abroad and did little mileage in it. This owner keep the R5 until July last year (2011) when he sold it to a foreign person working in London, they sold it onto a taxi driver earlier this year who had it as a stop gap while he was waiting for his new car and then he sold it to the chap who sold it to me he bought it but the boot wasn't big enough for his mobility scooter so he sold it to me.

It needs a new N/S wing mirror as the N/S wing mirror is missing the little handle to adjust it. The seller also said it needs a new starter motor but I read the manual about using the manual choke and I am getting the hang again of pulling the choke out when the engine is cold and pumping the gas pedal and the R5 started ok yesterday morning so I am wondering if it is a case of getting the knack of starting it right and that it does not require a new starter motor.

I am also in the process of applying to my housing association for a garage but there may be a waiting list and so I would be grateful of any advice on how to look after it over the winter on my hardstand. Should I get the underside sealed?

As I am disabled I am also going to ask my neighbour who looks after his own car to deal with the scratches and two rust spots that I have described above. How should the two rust spots be repaired?

The R5 (which I have named Henri Tudur II - using the French spelling of Henry and Welsh spelling of Tudor is named after my first R5 auto who was called Harry Tudur) drove home beautifully from Surrey to Hants down the A3. I look him out on Sunday and he is great I was reminded of the simplistic sound of the 3 speed automatic gearbox they always made me think of a 2CV I always have wanted to drive a 2CV but being disabled took my test in an automatic.

• photo (47).JPG
    photo (47).JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 396
  • photo (48).JPG
    photo (48).JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 376
  • photo (22).JPG
    photo (22).JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 353
  • photo (34).jpg
    photo (34).jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 354
  • photo (30).JPG
    photo (30).JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 364
  • photo (23).JPG
    photo (23).JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 353
  • photo (28).JPG
    photo (28).JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 358
  • photo (24).JPG
    photo (24).JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 359
  • photo (25).JPG
    photo (25).JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 357
Liking that. I know a chap with a large Renault collection who has recentlyish bought a couple of really good SuperCinqs, there are still a reasonable number of good ones about and they tend to be pretty cheap.

I'd like one myself at some point, GTX or Monaco preferably!

I was flashed and waved at by a guy in a nice looking 5 door white R5 this evening. I was in the R4. That's a good sign that they've turned classic. Another good sign is I'm running around in a 1994 one myself, but mine isn't good - it had the windscreen replaced at some point and the frame is very rusty. Might repair or pick up another before they get too expensive.

Henri looks like a good find.

Henri is a good find I'm warming to the Supercinq's spec. I found another small rusty pant area under the rear seats when you fold them down its just where the seat has scratched the paint off. Like the others its very small and I can touch it up myself. The small area under the window rubber on the driver's door is too difficult for me as my disability means that things like that are too fiddly I am going to ask my neighbour to do it for me but it would be a great help if I could get some advice on how to do it and what materials - filler etc I should get and my neighbour isn't use to a Renault 5.

Regarding the Supercinq's spec I'm beginning to appreciate things like the stereo speakers there are four one in each front door and two smaller ones one the plastic segment between the parcel shelf and the car's body and stereo is the operative phrase as the Mk I's up until X reg all had a mono speaker in the central console. I'm also appreciating the electric front windows - am I right in that some 1983 models had electric windows? What is taking time to warm to is the design of the dashboard and plastic door trim the design and colour (blue) of the dashboard remind me of the A reg Metro automatic that I had after my three R5 Mk I's. I think that in the design Renault were trying to compete with BL following the success of the Metro. I really love the curved and crinkly lines and shape of the Mk I dashboard and door trim and bumper to me its Renault 5 so French whilst the Supercinq comes across as less French and more European, but the automatic gearbox is the same with three forward gears and has always come across as a simplistic feel to it and one that I imagine to be similar to the 2CV and R4 - never having driven a 2CV or R4, and the gear change is smooth and you can feel the difference in the gears and the gearbox is responsive to the pressure or lack of on the gas pedal. This is so different to my Micra automatic which has a CVT automatic gearbox which is a modern Dafmatic/variomatic gearbox.

Next week I am going into my HA to collect the key to a garage up the road Henri is going to be kept in the dry.

I am also thinking about getting him treated underneath against corrosion and wondered what is the best treatment for this.

Regards

Harley

Thinking about what you were saying Malcolm about being flashed by someone there was a white 5 door Mk I on Ebay a few days before Henri Tudur appeared on there:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-Lit...omobiles_UK&hash=item2ebe78f2ad#ht_567wt_1146

I contacted the seller but it was up in Cambs and was too far for me to travel the seller offered to transport the car to me but I was not willing to pay upfront without having taken it for a test drive so he sold it to someone else. It had minor rust in the paint on the inside of the offside rear door and a rusty hole where the metal had rusted on the metal of the inside of the offside rear door. It started better then my Supercinq which needs it's starter motor and/or carb adjusting/ replacing. I just hope that it was sold to a Renault enthusiast - maybe that was the 5 door Renault that flashed you Malcolm?:)

Back