Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

renault goelette truck 4x4 (ex-army)

Clare Cowe

Enthusiast
I have recently purchased a great truck a 1963 renault goelette 4x4.
We have got her running and driving (breaks steering etc all seems ok)
but the electrics (for the lights- indicators) have been taken to bits at one. this old truck had a black out switch which obviously complicates the electrics to the indicators and the board which would have been in place to connect all the wires appears to have bits missing. Does anyone out there know where I could obtain parts for this old girl?? I don't speak a word of French so Im stuck for ordering parts. would love to hear from anyone... thanks Clare x

Funnily enuff...

I have a friend who has one of these but his doesn't have an engine in at the moment.

Got any pictures of yours so we can compare?

Renault Goelette

Thanks for the picture. thats a get abulance - mine is a pick up version of the same... it has a canvass roof and tilt. I will try to get a picture posted of it. There was an abulance like this for sale on ebay a month or so ago. I missed out on it, but got the truck instead. I was told the engines are the same as those found in Renault Frogate ??? ( i don't know if this is the correct way to spell it??) Perhaps we are about to start new trend?? Clare

Renault Fregate is the correct spelling, IIRC although according to Ian S I can's spell for toffee.

At the moment I think my friends has a Ford Transit engine in it, but its far too big and we're looking at getting a smaller/taller engine for it.

Out this morning on the annual Cormatin Randonnée we spotted this in the undergrowth. Unfortunately well beyond help. Is it the Galion, the little sister of the Goelette?

• rusty-Renault.jpg
    rusty-Renault.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 1,048
Renault Goelette

Wow, shes been there a while..... It looks like a goelette but its hard to tell. Shame its been left. As you say I think she its past saving. good picture though. Clare

We had an ambulance version once - 1964 I think with about 24000 km on the clock - the only 4x4 we ever owned or part owned! Bought it with a friend and sold it at a handy profit to a dealer in army surplus stuff.
It must rank as one of the oddest things I've driven, you needed a stepladder to get into it, muscles like Popeye to steer it, and it was horribly uncomfortable, must have done more damage to anyone injured taking them to hospital in it! I got it stuck in the ruts made by lorries going along the M27, and it was almost impossible to get out.
Great fun while it lasted, but not for the shy and retiring!
BTW those military vehicle bods are seriously odd, they must sell out of large size uniforms very quickly!:eek:

Yes I agree - army want-to-be's are an odd lot (always combat ready!! even if they are carrying 5 stone overweight...) I bought this truck as I have a lorry yard and needed a truck for running some big gear arround - but I didn't want to pay loads for one and I wanted something tax free and cheap to insure... ( I drove my last truck into a neighbours car, which put pay to my no claims...) I drive a renault 4 every day so it seemed like a natural progression... The trouble I have is getting a wiring diagram in english. My truck is a runner but has some indicator / lighting issues. I love it because its ridiculous! I have driven it arround the yard - as you say its not for the physicaly challenged. I really want to get her on the road before the end of the winter. If you have any suggestions - tips, the more the better. Many thanks Clare
P.s ( I paid £750 for mine - would that be about right? 20K on the clock everything in great order for its age.)

From memory we paid the equivalent of 1500 quid for it about 5 years ago and sold it for about 3 grand. Suspect the ambulance version is worth a bit more.
Apparently (so we were told) the type you have got are popular with shoots (grouse moors etc) because they will carry more people / stuff than a land rover, not sure how true it is though.
Cannot help with a wiring diagram, chances of finding one in english are pretty slim I should think, better get one of those army boys??? who knows about electrics to have a look at it.

Sounds a pretty good price, I'm sure our Ambulance was bought at the £300 mark, but remember it has no engine!

Thanks for your reply. I have got hold of a lorry machanic who was fixing a rig in my yard. He said he could re-wire her for me (at least the lighting side anyway) and as she could be worth a few quid I don't mind spending a bit getting her going. I don't want it to end up looking like the Goelette in the earlier picture!! Thanks Clare
p.s. these trucks are surposed to seat 12 people in the back????

I realize this thread is quite old but if you are still around, please let me give you a few indications

The real name of this truck - military versions - were, depending on the year of make, R2057/ R2067/ R2087/ R2087N
If your model is from 1963, it is a R2087N
If it is not the ambulance version, it is called "torpédo" version

here is two pictures of mine (from 1957, R2087)

Note that Goélette was never used officially for the 4X4 version even for the civil ones (R2064, R2069,...)
Galion is not the little brother of the Goélette (1400kg payload) but rather the bigger brother (2500kg), the little brother was called Voltigeur (1000kg), this from 1959 onwards.

Engine is indeed the one from the Fregate (2.2l in your case)

If you still need any technical documentation or help, I may help you to get it, just let me know

Just joined the group. My 2067 arrived in Florida from France on 4 Nov 17. Getting manuals printed. Can somebody tell me date of manufacture or where to find it? s/n 2575448 Also where is that number located? Vehicle generally good shape recently had cab painted. Not driven since 2004. I am military vehicle guy so this unit is a piece of cake for me once I get the basics under control. It starts and runs OK. Many details of lighting etc necessary before tagging.
Anybody home???
Alive???
John K.

Back