Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renaults and MGs

malcolm

& Clementine the Cat
My first MG was an MGA called Helga. I bought Helga from a Texan scrapyard back in 1992, and restored her while I was at college.

Helga was the reason I started driving Renault 4s.

I had been running a posh VW Polo as an everyday car, but it was worth about £1000 which I thought would be better spent on the MGA. My step brother had gathered together two Renault 4s - a really rusty GTL and a nice TL. He didn't have the time to fix them and swapped the pair for my CD player. The Polo was sold, and I ran Florence the Renault 4 on a shoestring for the next 4 years.

Anyway, I still own Helga - she has an easy life, only coming out in the summer when it's not too wet - the hood is useless. Find out more about Helga in http://www.vord.net/cars/helga/mga.html

mga_mountains_dusk-flip.JPG

After Helga was finished I started work on an MGB V8. It wasn't anything out of the ordinary. The engine was 3.9 litres, but otherwise it was much the same as other conversions.

I wasn't happy with it. There were a lot of problems, particularly poor handling and the need to turn the steering wheel a quarter of a turn to keep the car in a straight line under acceleration. When the engine blew up I decided to make some more changes.

The car has been off the road since 2001. It's got a new engine. Still 4 litres but tuned this time. I've changed the gearbox and back axle for sturdier units, and have redesigned the front and rear suspension and made a custom exhaust.

After a short break to restore Ermintrude the Yellow Renault, the V8 is my number 1 project The car is going back on the road this summer. It's nearly finished and just needs putting back together. I'm sure to report on it after completion.

You can see the progress on the VORD.net MGB Conversion pages

:shock:

v8_engine2.jpg

The MGB V8 is booked in for an MOT tomorrow afternoon. That's after 2.5 years of repair and modifications. I've been flat out finishing her off over the last couple of weeks, and have just finished in the garage (it's 8 o'clock. I'm exhausted but very excited. More on the progress tomorrow.

EDIT - It passed the MOT! Yippee. Just need to sort out the oil leaks and fit a speedo cable drive (the two are related) It'll be finished.

Renaults and MG's

Hi Clemantine,

It's really good to read about your MG and Renault exploits, I’m an enthusiastic MGF owner (’96 MPI in BRG) and a member of the MGOC and MGCC. I had a great 1st trip to Silverstone for the MG weekend and have always admired the MGA.

I’m also currently in the market for an R4 for my girlfriend who is crazy about the cars (mind you she’s never driven one!). I’ve posted for advise in the forum and am looking forward to inspecting our prospective purchase tomorrow.

Happy Motoring!

Russ.

Back