Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Rene is draining his brand new battery

91figaro

Enthusiast
I think I've made a mistake I've bought a 1962 R4,and I'm stuggling to buy any parts.I thought the dynamo might be draining the battery ,but now it won't turn over so maybe the solenoid,starter is doing itI went to a car breakers here in france but all the cars where different from mine . please help as I'm losing my way.Peter

Welcome. Please post some photos of your car.

Parts for early Renault 4s aren't always easy to buy locally. See http://www.renault4.co.uk/buying-R4s.htm for some places that will supply parts.

6V electrics and dynamos are rubbish. The battery will need regular charging unless you drive a long distance every day. Without regular charging the battery will only last for one year before it needs to be replaced. Oops - you say a brand new battery. Still well worth charging it with a 6V battery charger - it might not have been supplied fully charged.

Starter motors on Renault 4s can also be difficult. See http://www.renault4.co.uk/tech-starter-motor.htm The starter is difficult to remove, so it's easiest to make sure the battery is good first. But the 6V starters are easy to dismantle and clean, or after 48 years it might be worth buying a reconditioned one.

Hello, you certainly haven't made a mistake. You've bought a fantastic car :)

What Malcolm says makes sense. If you have a voltmeter you could put that across the terminals of the battery and check that the voltage is above 6V when the engine is running (the output of the dynamo should be greater than 6V I think). Another thing to do is to check the battery isn't discharging itself. How long does it hold its charge for when disconnected?

I had a similar problem and couldn't trace it for ages. Turned out that CD/radio started drawing a lot of current (not enough to fuse it, but enough to blow the fuse on the milliamp setting of my multimeter) which drained the battery over a week or so.

Good luck.

Hello
If you have bought a 62 car you will have a really good car ,and there should not be any trouble with 6volts,i have three 6volt cars and they are no trouble, make sure the earth is good and clean,anyway you have a hhand crank ,it should go on that first time.
The volts on the Battery when running should be 8 1/2 volts.
The top and bottom swivels are very dificult to find as they are smaller than later cars,otherwise not too much of a problem,try Melun Retro and all the local Bourses.
Bonne chance

Hi intresting threads. Reminded be of my first 6v car years ago. Got very adept at Parking downhill or scooting with door open! Not to be recommended !
I'm on holiday in britanny this week. Near Baud. . Not in r4 . what is the French for breakers yard - anyone? I fancy a day trip - got a tad red on the beach yesterday Thanks

Rene the quatrelle won't fire up.

Thanks everyone for your kind words of encouragement.I've been using the combined wisdom section.The dynamo seems fine ,every thing electrical has been converted to 12 volts,of course at first I didn't know that.I've hotwired the ignition switch no problem there,so its going to be taking out the starter_solenoid and hopefully replacing it.Peter

battery draining

I had this problem on a car a few years ago and it turned out to be the radio that was draining the battery overnight, it was an auto electrician that sorted the problem out for me, apparently the car radio was on even when it was switched off 24 hours a day seven days a week.

Rene and his ignition switch

I think I've tracked down the car not starting and draining problem,Before taking out the starter and solenoid I thought I'd put a direct feed to the solenoid,scary, but it thew the solenoid.So I had another closer look at the ignition switch.I tightened up avery small bolt,miniscule, and the car started and ran fine.The previous owner had stripped the thread on the bigger bolt on the opposite side of the ignition switchwhich acts as an earth,and must of been tightening up the small one .Does anyone know where I can buy another ,its different from the later cars.I'm going to leave the battery connected over night to see if it still drains Peter

Back