Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Repairing F4 Van

malcolm

& Clementine the Cat
I'm pondering about what to do with the F4 Estate (van) known as Claude Van Rouge. Any thoughts would be useful.

Claude was built in 1987 but the history file only starts in Cambodia in 1990 by which time he was repainted red in cellulose paint. Whoever ordered Claude clicked all the options - full length roof rack, towbar, rough road stuff, even mudflaps. Also Claude was built as an estate and has the side windows and rear seats from new, though the side windows are not original now.

Fast forward to now. Claude is delightfully patinated (really original and looks like he shouldn't be on the road), but will need outer rear chassis repairs for the MOT. Front floors were replaced a few years ago. Front outer and inner wings are rusty at the top, but otherwise not bad.

I have been hanging fire until I get a garage built. If I had a garage I could repair the rear chassis and the tops of the wings so the bad paintwork is even all round. On the other hand I have too many projects and have been getting rid of some recently. I have plenty of R4s that could do the job of Claude, but none could do it in such a delightful manner. I might have a garage next year as I have a cunning plan.

I'm thinking out loud as usual. Anyone have thoughts.

• claude.jpg
    claude.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 12
I would keep him and fix. F4s have a lot of character and estates are unusual.

My F4 is from the same year.

Please keep Claude! Even if you have to SORN it until you have a garage.

:hug:

Makes sense to hang onto it. I had toyed with the idea of a new chassis, but if I had a workshop it might be easier to weld the existing one. I shall think some more about workshops. There is a big shed on it's last legs that might be better being converted into a double garage.

he's a keeper for sure! friend of mine just wrote this..& although I'm not a fan of the really rusty look I do like the original preserved & an everyday classic far more than a pristine one (plus I'm pants at bodywork!!) I'm off to the uK this week & going to pick his brains on how to stop the rust but not respray mine.Most quatrelles here are used & look it whereas the 2cvs are all shiny & only come out on sunny days!

• Screenshot 2019-10-21 at 20.48.28.png
    Screenshot 2019-10-21 at 20.48.28.png
    982.9 KB · Views: 2
Back