Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Replace the drive shaft

autocrisp

Enthusiast
Hello,
We are considering replacing one drive shaft on our 4L, 1982 TL. I have seen a few pictorial demos on the net and wondered how easy this is to do for an amateur.

We currently have hand wrenches, screwdrivers and hammers. No access to electricity and would do the job outside. For the experts, how feasible is this?? From what I have seen, we need severe leverage and all the demos used electrical tools.

By the way, the plastic soufflet has split and the joint was seizing and cracking while turning so we thought to replace the whole shaft rather than just the plastic covering. Would your recommendation be to replace the whole thing or just the soufflet if there is no visible damage. (It is an original part from 1982 however the soufflet has already been replaced)

The Cars - 2009 008.jpg

What is not visible on the picture is the 4 centimetre split in the plastic which evidently leaks grease out causing the metal clip holding it in place to detatch thus exposing the joint.

Thanks very much in advance for your comments and suggestions.

We had to replace a driveshaft here a while ago and came to the conclusion that it was cheaper to let the suppliers of the new one do the work (Tout pour L'Auto in Vire), the extra amount they charged for fitting it over just supplying it was not a great amount. Having seen the trouble they had getting it out - and hearing the swearing when they tried to put it back, made me think we made the right decision. :D
Might be different if you are not buying a new unit though.

In my opinion, your best bet is to replace the driveshaft, if you hear noises it's almost sure the outer universal joint is broken.

It can certainly be done on the outside and without power tools, but you will need a 24mm socket with a breaker bar and a long tube to undo the hub nut, and a ball joint splitter to separate the ball joints. If the outer joint splines have seized in the hub, you may also need a three-legged puller.
It's rather tricky to remove the driveshaft because there is a spring to hold the inner joint extended, while you are trying to compress it. That's why Renault made a special tool for it, but it is by no means essential. You must hold the driveshaft compressed while manoeuvring the stub axle carrier, so as to disconnect the outer end, and at the same time checking that the brake hos is not stressed...it's tricky, not hard.

Should be about 2 hours worth of work. Don't be gentle.
I ones repaired a soufflet using tape athletes use to tape off injuries. It held for another 600 kms. There were some surprised looks at Renault but there was no damage to the joint.:)

Back