Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

right side longer then the left

68pleinair

Enthusiast
I just noticed that the right side on my plein air is 5cm longer then the left. Is this what makes these cars handle so well and make them impossibe to roll?

That's a favourite feature of mine. They positioned one rear wheel slightly behind the other to offset the torsion bars. The advantage over vertically offset torsion bars was probably packaging as much as anything.

Doesn't seem to affect handling. And it's amazing how many people don't believe you when you tell them the wheel base on one side of your car is 2 inches longer than the other.

You sent a question about cleaning products. I tend to use interior shampoo to clean interior vinyl, then leather conditioner is very good to keep the vinyl soft. I don't know what you could use on the roof.

right side longer than the left

The Citroen H series vans were the same, one side londer than the other as well. No one seemed to notice !
Cheers
Mark

i was thinking of using armourall on the vinal.

so, you are saying that the longer wheel base has no effect on the handling of the car?

Use a '' Vanish'' stain remover soap bar and a small finger nail brush .It is superb for GTL roof linings and sunvisors

Clementine said:
That's a favourite feature of mine. They positioned one rear wheel slightly behind the other to offset the torsion bars. The advantage over vertically offset torsion bars was probably packaging as much as anything.

Doesn't seem to affect handling. And it's amazing how many people don't believe you when you tell them the wheel base on one side of your car is 2 inches longer than the other.

You sent a question about cleaning products. I tend to use interior shampoo to clean interior vinyl, then leather conditioner is very good to keep the vinyl soft. I don't know what you could use on the roof.
Kina makes you wonder what they were smoking when they did that........I want some :P

This should be one of the most clever and radical solutions in automotive history... They said "we want a completely flat luggage compartment with minimal wheel-arch size". The answer was "torsion bars and horizontally mounted shock absorbers". But to obtain 30 cm travel at each wheel, very long torsion bars would have been needed. So, instead of abandoning this idea, they came to the unequal wheelbase solution. They could not have thought it better...it works far better than many modern car (but old-fashioned) rear suspension design.

The R4 was quite a mind-blowing car when it came out (Hey, mine still is). Its worth checking out the SAE Journal (for the US Society of Automobile Engineers) for September 1961- which covers the Paris Motor Show. The R4 gets a big write up, especially the trailing arm rear suspension, which, they explain, was cribbed from contemperary light tank/armoured personnel carrier designs. Plus all those other great things-gas shockers, ball joints, rubber bushes, sealed cooling system, alloy head, lift up tailgate. Pity they waited until the 1970-s before they included an oil filter!

the salutiion to thatprobmel is just change the oil every month. the filter comes in handy if u go a while between changes to help filter out any small metal shavings with naturaly happen with engine use.

Back