Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Road trip 2011 - Thenay 50th Anniversary

I haven't booked my tickets yet but I'll try to get the same ferry.

Be nice if you can! The more the merrier :)

What about coming back, anyone got plans?

Sadly I need to leave Sunday morning. Need to be back in the office on Monday so I really need to leave earlyish Sunday to manage that. I'd have liked to have gone down the Champs Elysee but its not to be. Ho hum.

Pepper, Malcolm, Lobster, Firstandbest - any more on the 0810 Dover/Calais sailing?
I'll ask P&O for some VIP treatment - perhaps a photo-opportunity for them and us?

... or a champagne breakfast with the Captain!

Hey that'd be great.

Perhaps priority boarding ;), the Spirit of Britain is very nice but you can wait a long time to get off the car deck...

I reckon P&O would be up for some sort of photo op though!

In touch with p&o comms team. Yes up for photo I think. I'm mailing details and will post reply

Done!

Tickets bought. Bobble and I are one step closer to Thenay. Sweet.

Thanks Malcolm for that cracking guide to buying tickets.

Ben

Just wondering if anyone has room for a passenger? I grt to Paris on 15th and was planning to catch train to Montrichard where I am staying, its about 8km from Thenay, otherwise if anyone has a spare seat going from Montrichard that would be great. Basically I'm hoping someone will take me for a spin in an R4!
My 1123 is of course here in Australia and its a bit late to start driving there!
Plus I need to sort brakes and electrics yet, hoping to source a driveshaft and the odd bit and piece in Thenay, should be the right place to ask huh?!

When do you plan to get to Montrichard?

You can have a drive of my LH drive 4 any time, its clunky but it generally works!

This morning I have mostly been sorting out a leak from my heater hose, served me right I decided to flush the cooling system through the other week and I put a new thermostat in as the last time I went a long distance I ended up freezing as there was no heat coming through at high speeds! Poor thing seemed to have not liked me removing the heater hose and had decided to develop a little split!

Thinking along the breaking down lines I thought I really ought to get some breakdown cover sorted out! I tried everywhere to no avail and then I thought of Adrian Flux and they gave me full Euro cover and UK cover for the year for £59! The girl says on the end of the phone "Oh yeah it's £59 for all cars, campers are a little more at £85 though" I said "great I'll have two please and sorted out my KIA's breakdown cover, at the same time"

This isn't a selling advert for Fluxes BTW, I just thought that if anyone else was having problems and wanted to get some cover, then I found a solution.

I've just booked myself into the Château de la Menaudière near Montrichard so could take you backwards and forwards from Thenay (which bits do you need?). Decided a Chateau would be more comfortable than a tent.

Who else is there? There was another booking from the UK according to the website.

There's a fellow planning to join us in Thenay in a Renault 16 who wants to know who else is going from Portsmouth to Le Havre, if you are planning to convoy and if so when you are setting off.

Hey Pepper - if you'd like to update the first post I reckon this is the Thenay count:

From Norway

• Reidalpine

From the UK

• Malcolm - Dover 0810 Friday. White '67 R4, staying at Château de la Menaudière near Montrichard
  • Pepper- Dover 0810 Friday Reggie the bashed and battered dark blue R4
  • Bobble and beserk gorilla - Dover - Rosalie the refurbished red GTL (and an other?)
  • Lobster - Dover 0810 Friday - The blue F6?
  • pstruckers - probably Dover
  • Alewis - Portsmouth
  • Bajababy - Portsmouth
  • 722Stu - Portsmouth
  • CornishR4 - Yellow GTL with flowers - Plymouth
  • R4mad - Plymouth
  • Firstandbest - Green or is it blue GTL - Dover 0810 Friday
  • Stuart Delahoy - Dark blue sunroof '66 - staying in an undisclosed chateau
  • Claire - Burgundy '68 - staying at La Croix Blanche in Montrichard - taking tunnel
  • MikeGTL - taking whatever is running, going over early
  • Edward Hall - Staying at the logis hotel Le Prieure
  • Mr and Mrs Renospeed - 2 R4s - planning to drive across on Thursday
  • IMacThere4iAm - aiming for the 0810 Dover Ferry
  • bison - possibly going over via Zeebrugge
  • Chris - R16 - Portsmouth
From Greece

• Angel - 1975 White Export
From BiH

• John Doe - driving over with maybe more R4s
From Australia

• renoir cigar - flying in and staying in Montrichard
From Italy

• Azazello - driving over with friends
From Netherlands

• Boerammetje
  • Bluegreen
  • jandoe1000
That's enough for a party! Feel free to update and make corrections.
If anyone doesn't have a rally plaque please PM me - there are still some left.

Last edited:
That's amazing Malcolm! I can't wait to meet you guys :)

Does anyone know more about the drive back with the Dutch and Belgians that Mrs Renospeed mentioned a while back? Is that on the Monday?
I've booked Monday off work so I'm keen to join them if possible :D

I can confirm I'll be on the 8:10 ferry on Friday, and I've booked a late afternoon ferry on Monday to leave my options open for the drive home.

I was more worried that I'd agreed to take Reggie in my car and I'd forgotten about it!

I then realised Malcolm was talking about my car! It's called BB (Bloody Battered)

I've got to take all my tools out of it yet as its been used as a wheelbarrow whilst trying to sort this tractor out!

Right, first post has been updated. Getting quite excited about this now!

That's amazing Malcolm! I can't wait to meet you guys :)

Does anyone know more about the drive back with the Dutch and Belgians that Mrs Renospeed mentioned a while back? Is that on the Monday?
I've booked Monday off work so I'm keen to join them if possible :D

Hi Tom, I've just had a look on the Dutch R4 website, and it looks like they are planning a trip through Paris on the way down to Thenay on the 14th. I suppose they know that its Bastille Day, so Paris could be even busier than ever. Regards Brian.

Hi Tom, I've just had a look on the Dutch R4 website, and it looks like they are planning a trip through Paris on the way down to Thenay on the 14th. I suppose they know that its Bastille Day, so Paris could be even busier than ever. Regards Brian.

Not only that, but the Champs-Elysée is closed off for a military parade! Unless we can somehow join the parade, a spin around l'Etoile would be impossible.

Good luck to you folks coming down from the north, enjoy the convoy whichever route you take, and a run through Paris with the Dutch and Belgian R4 owners could be a bit of fun. In the meantime we will have a leisurely drive through Brittany.:smile:

Hi Malcolm I booked into your hotel on web but thought its too far away might check this morning to change, if any chambres left, looks nice with pool, Aussies need water...
I get to Montrichard Friday afternoon, if I din't stuff up, flying from Barcelona to Paris that morning then train it to Loire, look forward to meeting everyone : )
Maybe you could pm a phone number?
Cheers Steven

I was more worried that I'd agreed to take Reggie in my car and I'd forgotten about it!

I then realised Malcolm was talking about my car! It's called BB (Bloody Battered)

I've got to take all my tools out of it yet as its been used as a wheelbarrow whilst trying to sort this tractor out!
I was worried i was going on a jaunt, and forgot about it, :o

We are travelling over to France on the Monday and visiting friends in Nantes, via Rouen and Le Mans, arriving Thenay Friday afternoon, so look forward to meeting up with you all on the Saturday. Back home to the UK on Sunday / Monday via Paris !

Claire & Ian

Back