Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Road trip spares...

Knights123

Enthusiast
Hello!

So, If you were to embark on a rather long road trip, and didn't know if any spare parts would be available in the next 1000km, what parts would you take with you?

Oli

Hi Oli

I have the following with me on board at all times: alternator and waterpump fan belts, spark plugs, a spare contact set, condenser, rotor arm, distributor cap, coil, condenser, HT leads, fuel pump, fuses, light bulbs, one of each of the cooling system hoses, radiator switch, clutch cable and accelerator cable. Basically, any part that is really useful and does not take up too much space. On a longer trip I also have a spare carburettor, distributor, alternator, starter motor, radiator and radiator fan motor I can take with me if I choose to. There is probably more which could be added to the list. However, on a 30 plus year old car anything can go!

How do you get all that in the car, or do you fold the back seat down, use a trailer or roof rack, or always travel alone?

Whatever usually goes wrong is normally the thing that you didn’t bring with you, unless your towing a spare car on a trailer, roadside recovery ( aforementioned AA card), charged mobile,toolkit, duct-tape, cable ties,positive outlook and a sense of adventure are always good travelling companion’s...

Hi

If your R4 of choice is an F4 or F6 van, with basic woodworking skills you can create additional storage space in the back to store all those spare parts :artist:

I don't carry the amount @jcarruthers2 is taking with him. But the 2 belts, a spare coil and all the parts for the dizzy and some oil and coolant.
All carried in a 50call ammunition box.

The parts kit jcarruthers2 listed fit nicely under the spare wheel. I would add a length of fuel hose and an extra tyre tube.
Combined with a tool kit that doesn't need to be huge, a roll of wire and a hammer, it will make the AA membership card useless...

However, on a 30 plus year old car anything can go!

It's true, but anything that can stop the car moving is already in the "first aid kit". I feel way more confident doing long trips on the R4 than on a modern car.

Thank you so much for the replies, thought it would be an interesting topic.

So, I think for me at least, plugs, condensor, points, cap, belts and probably a fuel pump... mine looks horrible.

There's no AA here in colombia :)

Muchas gracias!

….don't forget your USB/12v outlet for your mobile phone, calling Green Flag (other breakdown services are available) is essential at times of crisis.

A little off topic, but I have just completed over 350 miles today in my Daf 33. I packed the boot with bits and pieces, none of which I needed-typical! However, a guy at the club get-together DID need my assistance; new distributor fitted, timing light used to re-set the timing and I adjusted the mixture. The result was a very happy club member and a much more smooth running car for the member! Those parts you carry ARE useful sometimes.......!

A little off topic, but I have just completed over 350 miles today in my Daf 33. I packed the boot with bits and pieces, none of which I needed-typical! However, a guy at the club get-together DID need my assistance; new distributor fitted, timing light used to re-set the timing and I adjusted the mixture. The result was a very happy club member and a much more smooth running car for the member! Those parts you carry ARE useful sometimes.......!

Why can't I stumble across people like you ay? Very well done to you sir, life saver!

Tools. Diesel-starter. Gaffer-tape. Strips. Plastic bottles. Bi-cycle tire-tubes (this is very important!). Bulbs. Wire. Water. WD-40. Cloths. Oil. And then maybe a set of contacts for the alternator, as those really can't be "produced" of other crap at the side of the road.
If your battery is good I wouldn't bring much else than the above.

Back