Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Roger the Renault says "Hello!"

Roger the Renault

Enthusiast
Hello,

My name is Adam, I live in Norwich UK and am the proud owner of a Ferrari red Renault 4 called Roger.
He is very much a part of the family and the best car I have ever had. He works hard to raise awareness for Brain Tumour Research in memory of a fallen best friend called Steve.

Here is a video of the look Roger has:
And here is the beginning of a video series for Brain Tumour Research:

Sadly, Roger has stalled on the road on the outskirts of Norwich and I've been replacing some basics but am now beginning to scratch my head and wondered if any pointers might come my way.

Kind regards

Screenshot 2023-10-09 at 19.42.08.png

Hello Adam, what a great car you have (and what a Fine City Norwich is :) Sadly I no longer live nearby to offer any help).

I'm sure you'll get some advice on here, especially if you could be any more specific about the problems?

I take it the car's been recovered back to "a place of safety" (I.E., a lock-up!) by now! A few thoughts:
!/ How old is the petrol? Unleaded petrol becomes stale, or "goes off" in time.
2/ Did any warning lights flash before the car ground ignominiously to a halt?
3/ When was the car last serviced and what was changed or adjusted at that service?
The members of this forum are always happy to offer advice & suggestions!

P.S. Loving the "look" of your Renault!

Hello hello,

1 new petrol. It's my daily driver.
2 no warning lights
3 serviced annually.... 11 months ago.

Petrol was low but not empty, stalled after a traffic light. Managed to start again and pick up some speed before freewheeling to the forecourt down the road. Filled up on petrol. Started... ran lumpy and stalled. Pushed it over the road and then go covid for a few days! I've changed the plugs, the distributor cap, ignition coil, air filter and a new set of HT leads are on their way. I did mess about with the current HT leads, one wasn't conducting very well. Gave it a clean and got a decent resistance out of it. For about 40 seconds the engine ran perfectly then back to the normal stutter stop. Got some new generic HT leads to see if I can get it home but they were even worse. I can post some videos of the engine when it was just about running....

Hi Adam
The pipe that goes to the manifold (under the carb; engine side) hasn't fallen off, has it?
Carb pipe.JPG

I've changed the plugs, the distributor cap, ignition coil, air filter and a new set of HT leads are on their way. I did mess about with the current HT leads, one wasn't conducting very well. Gave it a clean and got a decent resistance out of it.

It might be worth changing the condenser as well.

I was just about to give up again and go home when I picked this condenser suggestion. SUCCESS!
Now I wish I had cycled over on my smaller bicycle. Here's a video of Roger singing smoothly:

many many thanks

Glad you got it fixed :)

We had a faulty condensor and it was very difficult to drive too.

Keep us posted with your adventures in Roger!

I was just about to give up again and go home when I picked this condenser suggestion. SUCCESS!
Now I wish I had cycled over on my smaller bicycle. Here's a video of Roger singing smoothly:

many many thanks
I'm glad changing the condenser did the job! Too often this item is missed when a car has a misfire.

I had the same thing with Ronnie. Driving through traffic in Brive, to get to the station to get to the airport, and the car stopped at some lights. Could not get it sorted, so low loader to a garage and a hair-raising taxi ride to the airport. It was the condenser wot did it. And I caught the plane !

Back