Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Rust claims another one.

paulandpat

Enthusiast
Took our blue car in for a CT today as we had someone who wished to buy it.
Unfortunately the tester found that the dreaded tinworm had been having a good go at the back of the chassis near the rear suspension - the bit described by Malcolm in the buyers guide as the more difficult to repair. :( He reckoned it would cost much more than the car was worth to repair it. As we have got lots of other projects on we thought we would recycle as much as possible to use on the F6 van - which has got no distributor or carburetor anyway. My question is which bits behind the front door pillar are the same, and which should we sell / take to the tip? Presumably all the front half is the same. Any advice / tips welcome, as are offers for the back doors / hatch.

I have an F6 and an F4. Essentially the F6 differs from the F4 in having a longer chassis. The body work, lights and rear door differs. I don't think much else does. Engine sizes vary, but are interchangeable. I think its more the difference between the early models and the later ones that prevent interchangeability of parts. Tim

The front section is the same as any R4, except for the windcreen and its surrounding.
The chassis is longer, both between the axles and on the rear overhang. However all mechanics (rear axle, fuel tank...) are compatible with any R4 of the same era. The exceptions are the exhaust (longer pipe) and the torsion bars (stiffer).

Thanks for that Angel, that's what I hoped.
The local 2cv guru, who's also very useful with a welder is coming round tomorrow, so I might get him to take a look and see if its possible to rescue it. When I called to see him the other day he was welding new floors in a 1956 2cv body. :)

I know what that is like. Makes you realize how much more car a R4 is compared to it's closest rival. The owner of the 2cv involved was thrilled I could come to the rescue though.

Back