Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Sad passing but new beginning

newtome

Enthusiast
I know I don't write much here, last one was about dampers. Never got to try them out as my 1991 TL died a hard death last week and I sadly miss her as she was my first R4. She made me a R4 lover forever, so today I bought myself a lovely red 1989 956cc. Probly paid to much, but driving my wifes Subaru this week just isn't the same. I've attached some pictures (hopefully they show up) . Just want to say Thanks to the forum and members for keeping this car alive.

Thanks again,
Carl

• rosa1.jpg
    rosa1.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 163
  • rosa2.jpg
    rosa2.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 166
Very nice! I am puzzled with the white grille, was it painted or does it seem to be its actual colour?

What happened to your '91 TL?

Hi Angel,
The grill is actual just a normal grey one, the sun shine in the picture is making it look white, but I'd would rather have a black one. My TL gave her last breath trying to get me home from work, I live on the side of MT Etna and while going up heard a tapping noise come from the engine, while looking for a spot to pull over she just lost power and quite running. Tried to start again and all that happen was a alot of grinding/banging for about 2 seconds then nothing as she ceased up. Got her towed to the mechanic, after telling him what happen he said that I run her without oil, which after checking he said no that's not the problem as she had the right amount of oil. But, to make a long story short, would have to replace or rebuild this one and the cost was to much to justify, as she needed alot of other work beside the engine. Like I said before, driveing something else isn't the same, so once I found this one, bought it the same day.

The bodywork on your new car is excellent and I admire your alloy wheels you must be delighted. This car should heal your sense of loss. I am jealous of you and Angel with all that wonderful sunshine - the rain is pouring down here and expected for the week ahead.:)

Que Belle macchina!! (or something to that effect)
Congrats to what looks to be a very good buy-regardless of price! and that Rosso-paint isnt making it look half bad either. -R.

What a gorgeous looking car - congratulations! I am sure you won't regret the cost.

Chris

Thanks for all the nice posts, so far so good. When I picked her up, had to drive back to my house, about 2 hours on the highway. She was moving right along at about 110 all the way back, I think she could of done alittle bit more but didn't want to push it. As soon as I track down a camera I'll post some of the interior, all black. The only concern that I have is, after getting home and doing a super check out (didn't do this before, as this is what I wanted, would have bought it any ways) is that the left front tire wiggles about 2cm when it's lifted off the ground. Is this the ball joints or something else????
Thanks again for all the replies.
Carl

Just to let everyone know, the guy I bought mine from also has this 1985 950cc for sale to, a little more expensive than mine though 3,700.

• white.jpg
    white.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 119
Could be bottom ball joint but I would suggest its more than likely the front wheel bearings, get someone to put their hand on the top and bottom ball joints as you "wiggle" this will help identify where the movement is coming from.
If its the bearing it will be in need of replacement quite quickly as it will start to squeal and don't forget to change the inner and the outer at the same time, if you don't you will probably find the other will go quite quickly.

Thanks for the quick reply, since she still up in the air so had my wife wiggle while I felt around and the only movement that I felt anywhere was where I put a circle on the picture.
Sorry, Ermintrude please don't get me for any copy right protection for using you as my display model!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• mini_body_on.jpg
    mini_body_on.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 57
There is also the track rod balljoint in the circle :-)
There are three points of wear there: 1.The ball joint itself (you will feel the play on it) 2. The track rod inner balljoint (you will feel the play in the rack gaiter) 3.The rack nylon bush, you will also notice the play in the rack gaiter. Better remove the gaiter to check if you notice that the play is coming from the steering and not the upper balljoint.

Angel,
Thanks for just making this more complicated, would have liked to try and give this a go by myself but I guess I'll just take it to the shop and have them take care of it to make sure I get the right thing fixed or maybe someone can talk me into still trying this?????????

Greeney, THANKS THANKS THANKS THANKS THANKS THANKS for being such a
****Bloody nice bloke actualy**** because after rereading that post, it could of been a real ?????????, but I know it would of been all in fun.

Now, a question for all of "Clementine's Renault 4 Garage" forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My tires are 145-80/13 standard tires, but I've been looking around the net trying to find raised white letter tires..........Does any know if they are made and if yes where????????

Thanks again,
Carl

Back