Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Save my Sanity

2CV6man

Enthusiast
Ok, Ok, so i'm i 2CV man but we can't all be perfect can we. i'm hoping that you guys might be able to help me.... my father (in his infininte wisdom) is looking to buy a R4 GTL from a friend of his. It is 86/C 2 owners and done 56.5K. It has been standing and needs welding to the sills, brake pipes and a brake overhaul. This isn't a problem because i can do all of the work (though i don't actually want to). I must admit that it IS in good condition - or perhaps that it is because i am used to doggy old CV's. I need to know if he is being ripped off at £750. I looked at it through 2cv eyes and thought it might be 500 top whack but you guys will know better than me. Thanks in Advance

ANDY aka the 2CV6 man

A years MOT seems to make a lot of difference to the value of the R4, especially when rust is involved. £750 would be a decent price for a car with a years MOT so long as it wasn't too tatty. Without an MOT I tend to pick them up for £50 or less.

For comparison, a nice blue GTL went on eBay for £1000 recently:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1986-RENAULT-4-GTL-BLUE_W0QQitemZ160007200484QQihZ006QQcategoryZ9861QQcmdZViewItem

You won't enjoy doing the rear inner chassis legs - it's a suspension off job as the rust comes outwards from behind the suspension mountings.

Ah, I See, Thankyou very much. The car has no m.o.t. and hasn't had one for 3 years!!!!! I reckon that the cost to repair at a garage would be a grand so he IS being ripped off. I shall sort it right away. Thanks for your help (now where is that baseball bat.....)
:twisted:

Back