Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

SCAM ALERT in the Wanted Sections

malcolm

& Clementine the Cat
I've just banned johnreef who has an IP address in Nigeria - he tried a scam on me and has probably messaged lots of other people too. I've now delayed the ability for new members to send private messages which will hopefully confuse them.

If a member you don't know sends you a private message saying they or their friend has the part that you need be very cautious. Don't pay by Paypal Friends or bank transfer (or anything where you don't get buyer protection).

Please use the report button if you receive a private message that might be suspicious so I can check the member out and hopefully save other members the same hassle.

Thanks Malcolm. He tried to get me the indicator rubber seating that I had made enquiries about a couple of weeks ago complete with an email address. Bit of an odd response via a PM so I did not follow it up. Thanks for your great work in trying to protect us.

Me too he/they tried to sell me a windscreen washer pump that I’m after from a few months back.
I did contact him and they wanted “75” plus postage but looking back he didn’t say what currency?
Blocked my email from him now.

I've just banned johnreef who has an IP address in Nigeria - he tried a scam on me and has probably messaged lots of other people too. I've now delayed the ability for new members to send private messages which will hopefully confuse them.

If a member you don't know sends you a private message saying they or their friend has the part that you need be very cautious. Don't pay by Paypal Friends or bank transfer (or anything where you don't get buyer protection).

Please use the report button if you receive a private message that might be suspicious so I can check the member out and hopefully save other members the same hassle.
That explains why my rear lamp never arrived then! I always seem to find them, should have known, thought I was fairly safe on here!!

Apropos this scamming, the following might be on interest: About 20 years ago I worked for the Foreign Office and travelled extensively on its behalf, mostly to "odd" and "strange" countries. Before embarking I contacted my mobile phone company, to ensure I would have adequate coverage in these places. I was categorically assured that I would have coverage in all the countries I enquired about, including such touristic delights as Algeria, the D.R.C., Congo Brazzaville, Côte d'Ivoire and (to a limited extent) the D.P.R.K. The only country I would not have coverage would be Nigeria. When I asked why I was told "every time we charge their phone companies for connecting calls, they never pay, so we don't connect them any more!"

'Nuff said!

TBH wherever an online add. or message/email appears to good to be true or ‘conveniently ’ timed todays world wherever it says its based I think we have to treat with a certain suspicion, Nigeria isn’t the only home of scammers, here in Spain I have had problems with description and actual items delivered, friend here recently purchase a full set of Olympic grade weights from a UK supplier, £450 +ship, total scam when researched seller, exploitation is a global phenomenon unfortunately only made easier through our belief in whats on the tv or mobile screen is honestly factual. We learn the hard way but it is becoming more and more necessary to background search sellers before jumping at buying any item through the wonders of the web/cloud, enough that personally now if at all possible I try to purchase as much as possible in person.

So with all that, I'm still looking for a LH rear lamp assembly for R5 1990, or at least a lens if nothing else?

We've had a another new member Chrisfuc contacting members by private message saying they have a friend who can supply the parts. His messages should be gone now and please don't contact the email he sent as it's a scam.

They've figured out you need to post before sending private messages now so I've limited the number of private messages they can send. Still need to be watchful of new members with a friend who has rare parts and an email address.

seems to happen a lot on other auto forums too,

Back