Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Scrapping French car in UK

iMacThere4iAm

Tom Long
Hi old friends, I have a 1991 GTL in the driveway that is almost, but not entirely made of rust. It is unsalvageable as a car and I will be having it scrapped imminently.
Just 2 questions before I leave the R4 owning community for the foreseeable future:

This is a French registered car. Do I need to tell the French authorities it's been scrapped - if so how?

Are they any parts you want off it? The chassis and body are useless; the engine has been sat for years but if any part is still of use then I'll remove it for you.

Hi, I would be interested in the rear axle if its got the cast type of arms and salvageable?
Do you have any pictures?
Cheers Jeremy

Hi, I would be interested in the rear axle if its got the cast type of arms and salvageable?
Cheers Jeremy
The rear axle should be salvageable. It's the cast type. Luckily for you, it was already dismantled and stored under cover for the last few years so it's less rusty than the rest.

The front door pockets and retaining clips please if they are ok?
Those are available. I'll take some photos tomorrow.

Cheers Jeremy
The rear axle should be salvageable. It's the cast type. Luckily for you, it was already dismantled and stored under cover for the last few years so it's less rusty than the rest.

Hi, Thanks, I am very interested in the axle. would you be able to check the condition of the ends that go into the outer bushes?
My number is 07906 653157 if you could contact me to discuss. Many thanks, Jeremy.

Hello Tom, are the plastic trim pieces on the doors salvageable? and in any kind of decent condition?
Thanks!

The suspension arms are fine, the pins into the bushes are intact. I also appear to have a pair of new bushes Franzose part number 83030.

Many thanks, where abouts are you?
Near Morecambe, Lancashire. I have one door pocket, rather battered around the fixing holes.

Hello Tom, are the plastic trim pieces on the doors salvageable? and in any kind of decent condition?
Thanks!
Very dirty but undamaged. Would clean up lovely with a good scrub and gentle heating.

IMG_20220319_130849857.jpg IMG_20220319_130716943.jpg IMG_20220319_130604536.jpg

Hello Tom, trust you and your family are well. Very sorry to read the old Pencil car has come to this sad end, but great if you can pass some parts on to other R4 owners to keep their cars on the road. You had a lot of fun with the car, and of course you completed the 4L Trophy adventure to North Africa, no mean feat, so she's done her bit.
Best wishes Brian.

Hello Brian, good to hear from you. We're well but yes sadly I have neglected this car for many years and this is the inevitable result. I did have a lot of fun with it back in the day!

If only one pocket can I leave it but could I have the two diamond shaped wing indicator repeaters and the wiring to the Loom please

Hello Brian, good to hear from you. We're well but yes sadly I have neglected this car for many years and this is the inevitable result. I did have a lot of fun with it back in the day!
Yes indeed you did, and you never know, maybe one day you will return to the fold. Cheers Brian :)

They look in much better condition than mine so would definitely like to buy these,
Could you message me a price, and im happy to travel to collect.
many thanks Jeremy,

Door switches and fittings for internal cabin lights with delay timer (from VW golf).

Various dashboard accessories including original Renault clock, gauges for rpm, vacuum, temperature. USB sockets, mystery switches (what do they do?)

Headlamp bulbs.

Engine gasket set.

Stroboscope.

16483882817255028919851768814238.jpg 16483883553064853849655657816063.jpg 1648388485937447143974425352626.jpg 16483888115536221506019168060098.jpg

Back