Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Self park of windshield wipers doesn’t work

harbourseal

Renault R4 Lunatic
Failed MOT on 0 stance of windshield wipers.
Any thoughts please?
Is this an electric problem? Or is it mechanical in the linkage of the wipers.
Robinette also failed on a brake difference in the rear and a steering house cuff.

When you say the "stance" of the wipers, do you mean they don't park at the bottom of the windscreen properly, or are they not wiping enough of the screen?

Did all renault 4 self park
Apart from that on modern cars there is a 12v permanent feed to the motor on separate circuit this has a fuse in it which if blown won't stop wipers working but does prevent parking position function
Knowing how the fuses get corroded or melt on the ends maybe worth checking power both ends

And thats a fail! Mot's must be one thing thats easier in the UK...
Yes, that's not a fail in the U.K. Windscreen wipers must "be in good condition and be of the correct size for the vehicle they are fitted to. They must provide the correct range of wipe to allow the driver to have an un-obscured view of the road ahead." No mention of the need (or not) to self-park.

Sorry guys, I’m in the Netherlands. From a certain year of build the cars had self-park wipers. If the don’t it’s a fail om MOT.
do I need to look at the fuses in the fuse box? Or is there a separate fuse somewhere near the wiper motor?

Early wipers on R4s do not self-park.
The next generation of R4s had a three-position dashboard rocker switch : on (up), off (central) and park (down, spring-loaded). It was necessary to push the switch down to park the wipers.
The later ones still, with stalks and a more modern design of wiper motor, park automatically.
Which one you have will depend on your model year. But in this case I would have thought that the Netherlands vehicle testing rules would take into account what a particular vehicle was fitted with — or lacked — as the (then) legal requirement. Certainly this is the case with UK MOT rules. The older the vehicle the fewer criteria it has to satisfy.

Back