Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

serious promblem with r5 starting ... baffled any ideas?

Chunkysid

ok so ive been restoring this r5 campus for the past year done a ton of work on must spent easy £3000+ on it . but i have a BIG PROBLEM which im super confused about recently me and a friend was just giving it a once over keeping it going and tht till it can get on the road and the revs were running a little low.

so we adjusted the acc cable and it snapped so spent last 2 weeks findin a new cable eventually have to order one from reno who had to specially order it from france anyway..

we fitted the cable with no problem but now the starter motor wont work so we ripped out thhe starter and went and got it tested and basicly it was foooked. so went down to local scrapy hu i know has a r5 camp auto and we got the starter from it and he tested it works fine ,

fitted today and all im getting is clicking the starter motors engaging yet not turning the engine over but its not a a power issue as we had a fully charged battery and the engines not seezed as it was running loverly 2 weeks ago and u can move the car in 1/2 gear wen pushed so the engines turning over yet wont fire up :mad::confused::confused::confused:

you guys have any idea cos im complete bafffffled oh btw hi im names sid massive r5 lover :) nice to meet you all ur advance would be fantastic. :smile:

If you have a manual and the gearbox you got yours from is an Automatic, then the chances are that the starter is not correct for your car.

Another thing to perhaps check is that your leads are not burnt out, make sure all the earth leads are perfect, I've know accelerator cables to be melted by not having a good earth and the current takes the path of least resistance and uses the accelerator cable to run through!

Take a jump lead from the positive of the battery and remove the small terminal on the starter motor and directly connect the jump lead to the starter solenoid connector and see if it works. BE CAREFUL as it will start pretty quickly so you need to make sure you have nothing in the way!!!!

What did you try? The touching of a jump lead to the terminal? Was this when it was loose on the bench or in the car, did it start the car?

This sounds like a poor earth connection between the engine and the body. Clip a jump lead on the battery neg terminal and the other end on a metal part of the engine ie Alternator bracket and see what happens.

Also make sure the leads to the starter solenoid are very tight and clean.

well after i got it outta the auto i asked the guy to check it wasnt seezed so u put jump leads on a battery and the starter and the solinoid and motor fired straight up so starters fine , its strange cos everything was working perfect untill the acc cable snapped :S ill check the connectons soon as theres snow and rain on floor at the mo

Checking it loose on the floor is totally different to checking it in situ.

You are using a very heavy duty lead straight from the battery, whereas when you use the starting position on the key the lead is far smaller and travels all the way from the battery to the key then through the ignition down to the starter motor.

If the starter is the correct one for your car, and all the leads are correct then the next thing you might have to do is get the solenoid on the starter cleaned.

Or even better you've just spent £3000+ on the car why not treat it to a reconditioned starter to make sure everything is working properly.

If I remember correctly the starter I just bought for my 4 cost £75 and with the position its in in the 4 then there was no way I was going to skimp. Do a job once and do it right saves an awful lot of money and time.

on the inner wing behind pasenger headlamp there is a multiplug which will probably be corroded or melted think it will be grey or white thicker wire cut wire and join directly bypassing dodgy connection

Back