Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Service Manual...

dadthespanners

Enthusiast
Can anyone share or tell me where to find a service manual for my 1984 R4?

Prefer an online free version of course! :)

Thanks.

Ian (Dadthespanners)

Hello, welcome to the forum!

You don't say what type of Renault 4 you have, as that may affect which manual you need (TL, GTL, for example, or what size engine). If you're not sure, post your oval plate and engine numbers and someone on the forum should be able to tell you what you have.

If you have a GTL you probably need the later Haynes manual, the one that goes up to 1986 (it has an extra chapter on the later models). There are usually several on eBay. There are even more of the older manuals, but these might not cover what you need (they don't cover the GTL I don't think).

Hope that helps, Jonathan

PS: if you let us know what info you need, I expect folk here will help :)

I know its 1108cc. Don't know the model "GTL" or whatever,,,?

The oval has these numbers...

I am doing a full engine rebuild.

I wanted the sizes of the crank - main and big end journals.

I have found the information from Wests Renault parts department in Clapham near Bedford.

I have ordered a set of new liners and pistons and anything else I can think of...

any warnings or recommendations welcome.

Thanks.
Ian (dadthespanners) :!:

Have you measured the journals for ovality? Have you still got the old shells - they will have a reference number?

I have a new set of genuine Renault big end shells, mains and thrust washers, full engine gasket set, timing chain, tensioner etc etc if you are interested.

It's unusual for liners to wear - must be a high mileage engine. You will need the paper liner seals - I have them as well somewhere. Send me a pm if you're interested as I have loads of new parts.

My newliners came with red, blue and green exylnyl? liner seals of different thicknesses. I have gone with the reds giving me 0.12mm sleeve protrusion.

The old ones were paper but I assume these new coloured ones supercede them?

From memory red is the thickest. I think the 4L manual says some thing like 0.04 to 0.12, i can check tonight if you like. I know my 845cc conversion (sump) set of gaskets came with papers ones as well.

NOTE, it is reccommended you fit the liners with a sealer called 'WELLSEAL' not silicon as that holds the liner off of its seat where as wellseal is like non-setting golden syrup.

Michael

My newliners came with red, blue and green exylnyl? liner seals of different thicknesses. I have gone with the reds giving me 0.12mm sleeve protrusion.

The old ones were paper but I assume these new coloured ones supercede them?

The info you need is on Page 224 of the Haynes manual - about two thirds of the way down.

Nice thought Mike.

I was wondering what to seal the seals with. I dont trust them to seal on their own and its obviously critical. I have used wellseal in the past and I will try to find somemore.

Thanks. Ian

£12.00 +vat from my work

Back