Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Sinpar - some of the greasy bits

Hi id be very interested in the f4 and the 6 floorpan give me a buz on 07594333093 thanks coz

Engine wedges

Angel, as far as I am aware they were always fitted. I have read a few French-forum threads that refer to them as having been fitted and the need to make up plates if they are missing.
It is quite tight for the transmission shaft to get past the anti-roll bar bar so I am sure it is to give a tiny bit more space !

Pain in the bum !

Fitting a tow bar has been a real pain!
The first one I fitted (homologated tow bar) goes inside the rear chassis arms and has secondary braces to the floor. Unfortunately it restricts the width between the chassis arms, so even with the secondary supports removed it was just too tight !
The second one (another homologated tow bar) which I swapped with Vanessa (white F4) fits on the outside of the chassis arms and uses the third row of holes - first 2 sets for the bumper - as well. Problem with this one was that it fouled the filler pipe. So "un coup de diskeuse" - or attack with angle-grinder - and it is JUST possible. The tow bar tubes are very close to both the bumper brackets and the fuel tank.
Now all nice and snug and ready for the final coat of paint.

At the other end, I have had to remake the battery tray because the one that came with the car was a nasty, mocked up, sheet aluminium affair , probably due to the original rusting. I cut down a standard tray so it gives clearance for the transfer box arm and re-welded to take a decent sized battery. I opted for retaining "arms" rather than the clamping plate because it gave more room.

Final job was finding and refitting a reinforced upper wishbone. These were standard on Sinpars and one had been replaced with a standard 4L piece

Once done it means I can start to put the front end back together.

The chrome bumper is not standard but is the best I have and it looks great - not perfect, few scratches and dings like the rest of the car but should retain the character I am after.

• Tow 1.jpg
    Tow 1.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 479
  • P1230657.jpg
    P1230657.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 471
  • P1230650.jpg
    P1230650.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 472
  • P1230661.jpg
    P1230661.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 472
  • P1230658.jpg
    P1230658.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 465
Some of the shiny bits

Starting to do some of the finishes now.

Having decided not to respray the car because the paint was just too sound with very little body rot, it means that a LOT of elbow grease has been needed to remove several years worth of barn dirt. The car was under a leaky roof with birds roosting on the beams above so lots of guano. Also a vigorous ivy had worked its way through and over the bodywork leaving suckers and leaf prints, as well as an additional "wiring" loom in the engine compartment !

I know some out there would have decided to repaint, but as mentioned previously, I want to retain as much "character" as possible and even if it means a few scratches , dents and mismatched paint, personally I would rather that than a car that I was frightened of using.

I do not wish to open a can of worms here because I know we all have different ideas about "restoring" cars and I am constantly amazed at the lengths we all go to complete our projects ....

I have gone over the original paintwork by hand with 000 wire wool and then using a machine, an O3B fine abrasive before final protection with a silicon resin polish (I like Autoglym products but they are not cheap !)

Finally, I have added one of the 2 Sinpar 4X4 stickers which originally adorned these cars, it always makes me feel that I have made progress when I do something like this !

At the other end, I cleaned the fuse box using a Dremel and small wire brush. The front and rear lights had had additional wires between the side lights suggesting that there had been previous problems, so now with all the contacts cleaned and new fuses fitted it all works.

• P1220710.jpg
    P1220710.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 431
  • DSC00459_2.jpg
    DSC00459_2.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 438
  • DSC00458_3.jpg
    DSC00458_3.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 431
  • DSC00461_3.jpg
    DSC00461_3.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 441
What a transformation! I don't bother painting unless all the panels are all rusty or different colours. Brilliant to be able to tidy up the original and keep it original.

Looks lovely :hug:

What a fantastic project. Hats well and truly doffed over here.

As we have but a single garage one can only dream......probably just as well.

All agog for new pictures as and when....

regards as always

David

Final piece of the jigsaw

Fitted the transmission tunnel and prop shaft today, as you can see there is not a lot of room between the antiroll bar and prop (>1 inch) and even less between the prop and transverse chassis bar (about 3/8ths) - hence the engine wedges.

The silent blocks have an additional brace at the front, sitting on the floor under the heater, I just need to cut off the excess thread before final painting

The final piece was the actuator rod between the transfer box and rear diff. At the diff end it sits in a nice box of grease, but is open to the elements at the other end. However with the undertray fitted it does get some protection.

And it all works - drove in and out of the garage in 4wd !

Just 8 grease nipples to fill - where did I put the grease-gun ?

• P1230829.jpg
    P1230829.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 396
  • P1230830.jpg
    P1230830.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 372
  • P1230833.jpg
    P1230833.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 367
  • P1230837.jpg
    P1230837.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 379
  • P1230831.jpg
    P1230831.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 368
Finished ! - well nearly .....

Controle Technique (CT) done this morning !!!!!!!

A few days intensive to get everything cleaned, refreshed and bolted back together.

So decided to try the CT and then do anything on the fail/advisory list before the final cleaning and finishing

Amazingly she sailed through ! An advisory on a worn rear shock, an oil leak (I had changed the oil filter this morning and some dripped !) and that was it.

After the shenanigans I had with the brakes I was surprised, briefly another new master cylinder and limiter ,thanks Steve, and manually adjusting the automatic brakes and I had a pedal at last.

Now , off to find some hills and some mud !

• P1240038.jpg
    P1240038.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 351
  • P1240040.jpg
    P1240040.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 324
  • P1240041.jpg
    P1240041.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 321
Good Job

Absolutely excellent. Well done.

Over your way at the end of November for Grannys birthday (Limoux).

FAB

Glass of Wine

If you are in the Minervois (near Olonzac) come and have an apéro !

Send me a pm and I'll give you phone numbers .

Back