Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Small annoyance..

laxeian

Enthusiast
When I start my van from standing overnight/few days I get a small ‘bearng ‘ type noise for the 1st 30 sec-1min, it then goes and does not return until left overnight, its only on the 1st start-up of the day.
I’ve been going round all of the engine with a stephoscope upon start-up and located the source of the noise to the distributor, its coming from where the main shaft comes up through the baseplate, its a Femsa distributor.
It is not affecting running at all.
If i spray a small amout of WD40 on shaft at baseplate bearing noise goes for 3-4 days, but then returns.
Ive tried undoing and retightening baseplate ( has to come off for points etc.) but this doesn’t seem to help.
So question is what form of lubricant would be the best to use on shaft to stop it for possibly more than 3 days?
( Its an annoyance more than a problem, but now I’m sure of where its originating from I want it gone!)

try some silicone-grease if noise comes from th base-area (just a small amount will do)
Have you checked the gear for wear -the one that connects to the cam itself as noise is
only on start-up-could be wear? What if you disconnects coil and build oilpressure b4
starting motor? If noise gone noise comes from gears I'd guessed -Reid.

Thanks for reply reidalpine,
Will try some silicone grease.
Have taken distributor out to replace points,( had noise before and after ), the drive gear at bottom did not show any significant wear when doing this, there is very little lateral play when you feel for play on rotor, ( as tight as any I’ve previously dealt with that have been OK) I’m 90% sure its coming from the bearing on the baseplate itself, the noise is definitely coming from the baseplate area when using the stethoscope point, not the base where it goes into block ( gets louder as moving towards baseplate area, loudest at top, just gear noise at bottom ), realize its not an expensive diagnostic tool, but have always found them effective in locating problem sources ( and brilliant for finding and tweaking that one noisy tappet!)

If it's that small bearing it should be easy to change,also as its a Standard bearing you'll find it everywhere for a few €€
Hope you get if fixed so you can enjoy the Total silence we're spolied by in our 4 c",) -Reid.

Back