Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Speedo

edwin

Enthusiast
Hi all. The speedo light has stopped working. The blue light comes on for the headlights and indicators work, as does the choke and handbrake light etc. However, at night I need a torch to see how fast i am going ! Any ideas as to resolving this would be welcome.

Hi JJAD and thanks for that. There is mentioned, in that info, that there is an under panel that can be removed that gives good access to the speedo cable. Does that also give access to where the bulbs are seated?

I can't remember, but I do know that I ended up taking off the steering wheel, which wasn't too difficult in the end. I think that made everything much easier to access. This is for a GTL, by the way.

Hi. Mine's an '85 845cc TL. And its in France, so when I go over and tackle it , I need to know that once I start going in, that I can get out again , leaving me with an operating car. So I need to have the how to do it and the bits , all with me then.

I think the TL dash is different. Hopefully someone with a TL will be able to help you.

Hi. Mine's an '85 845cc TL. And its in France, so when I go over and tackle it , I need to know that once I start going in, that I can get out again , leaving me with an operating car. So I need to have the how to do it and the bits , all with me then.
As your car's an 85, I imagine it has this type of speedo:
1688379919939.jpeg
1688380206334.jpeg
You need to remove the undertray first - once this is done, you might be able to get to and change the bulb(s) without removing anything else (I remember changing these bulbs once or twice without having to take the speedo out):
1688380294175.jpeg
If that doesn't work, there's a good guide here:

You can get new bulbs here (out of stock at the moment, though):

Andy, thats great. thank you. I assume the middle photo is the rear of the speedo, which in my case will still be attached to the car. I will have to lie on my back and thread my hands through all the wires and cables and find which bulb needs replacing, Any suggestions which one ?. With the bulb not working, I dont know where or what it is. I anticipate that it is somewhere giving an overall background light to the speedo display . Or is it the one immediately to the left of the speedo and to the right of the eight warning lights? This is so helpful. Thank you. I could not see it in the car handbook or Haynes, or the Renault Maintenance book I have.

Andy, thats great. thank you. I assume the middle photo is the rear of the speedo, which in my case will still be attached to the car. I will have to lie on my back and thread my hands through all the wires and cables and find which bulb needs replacing, Any suggestions which one ?. With the bulb not working, I dont know where or what it is. I anticipate that it is somewhere giving an overall background light to the speedo display . Or is it the one immediately to the left of the speedo and to the right of the eight warning lights? This is so helpful. Thank you. I could not see it in the car handbook or Haynes, or the Renault Maintenance book I have.
There are two bulbs - one either side of the speedo cable. The photo I posted is of a Veglia speedo. The one at the bottom of the la4LdeSylvie is of a Jaeger - slightly different, but to all intents and purposes the same.
If both bulbs seem to have gone, (no instrument panel illumination), check that your offside sidelight and rear light are working. If not, it'll be a fuse (#8, counting from the right). Much easier than the bulbs...

Last edited:
Back