Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Speedometer not working

Tomorrow im in my workshop. I have a workshop manual for the HAO gearboxes. It might have a description on how to remove the wormdrive without wrecking it.

Common sense has prevailed. There is nothing wrong with my gearbox or clutch so I am leaving it alone. I have put the front of the box back together with new gasket but minus a worm. So no speedo. If at some point a worm and pinion become available, they can be fitted. Thanks for the advice

It should be possible to remove the drive worm. I have no experience with doing that.
Since it is destroyed You might as wel give it a try. I don't think you'll do any damage to the axle it is attached to. If you try to pry it of.
Maybe some of the others on here have a spare drive worm for you. On the 20th Januari I can have a look in our club warehouse if they have one for you. But I need to know your gearbox number for that. The number is printed on a small disk on top of you gearbox.
Hi. I have purchased wclough's R4 with the speedo not working, I have not taken apart yet but looking at these messages I need a new worm drive, are these available? There is a number cast into the o/s of the gearbox. 0001115600. kind regards Steve

Hi guys, today I went through my spare parts and came across a front gearbox plate with wormdrive & shaft. If you are interested I can make a photo of the parts to check. Let me know!

Hi guys, today I went through my spare parts and came across a front gearbox plate with wormdrive & shaft. If you are interested I can make a photo of the parts to check. Let me know!
Yes please, I also think I need the larger worm drive that is fixed to the gearbox shaft. Kind regards Steve, stevetildesley@gmail.com

Not about to ruin the excitement. Beware of the turning direction. If Im not mistaking @Rosie's Dad you have a 1128 GTL and @Jurjenz has an 1123 TL with an engine that turns in the opposite direction.
You might end up with a speedo that runs backwards.

Wow. I do have a 1128 GTL, I didn't know they went different ways. My gearbox doesn't have a tag on it with the number on it. There is a number cast into the o/s of the gearbox. 0001115600 is this any help in finding what I need? I haven't removed front plate yet, just going on what previous owner has said. Do you think I will be able to get parts or do I need a replacement gearbox?

That number on the side of the gearbox is the part number for the HAO box casing. It wil be the same on the 1123 HAO gearbox.

I’ll have a look in my gearbox book. Maybe that will be some help to you.

The identification tag was often put on the nearside front of the gearbox (see attached link), so it may be obscured by the radiator.

https://www.la4ldesylvie.fr/index.p...-354-hao&catid=20:boite-de-vitesse&Itemid=242

If it's an R1128, the chances are that it's an HA0-146 gearbox (see attached photo of the one on my GTL) - but it's absolutely essential to identify the gearbox type to ensure you get (if you can..) the right parts.

DSC00904 (2).JPG

Harbourseal and Andy are right.
Keep also in mind that the speedometer wormdrive also differs in gearing per indice of the HA0 series gearboxes.
There are 26 known types (indices) of HA0 gearboxes and are used in 14 types of R4's
So the HA0 type is very important for interchange parts.
When the identification tag is missing than you need to open the gearbox and start counting teeth on the various gearings and compare the outcome with the tech manual. :cool:

The identification tag was often put on the nearside front of the gearbox (see attached link), so it may be obscured by the radiator.

https://www.la4ldesylvie.fr/index.p...-354-hao&catid=20:boite-de-vitesse&Itemid=242

If it's an R1128, the chances are that it's an HA0-146 gearbox (see attached photo of the one on my GTL) - but it's absolutely essential to identify the gearbox type to ensure you get (if you can..) the right parts.

View attachment 22805
Andy

Looking at the chart I could have 1 of 3 gearboxes, 146 & 150 look to be the same spec, whilst 163 is very different.
If I plump for a 146 will I be able to find parts?
What could happen if wrong parts?
Am I better to buy a gearbox and replace?
Does it matter what gearbox I buy?
Where do I look for a gearbox?

Sorry for all the questions I need to get it sorted one way or another as it's my wife's pride and joy, she had one nearly 40 years ago and wants to relive her youth.

Cheers

Steve

For now I’d hang on to this gearbox and not make any hasty decisions on changing the gearbox for one that has a working Speedo drive and might be rubbish inside.

Just take your time in finding a good replacement.

A gps will do as a speedometer until you find a replacement or the right parts for the current one.

It's a tricky situation because we're not sure which box you have. If you eventually decide to replace the whole gearbox with one that is known to be sound, an HA0-146 will certainly work with a 688 D7 12 engine (it's worth checking that this is the number on your engine plate), and will give you accurate - or as accurate as they ever are - speedometer readings.
I'm sure quite a few of us on the forum have spare gearboxes, but we're probably hanging on to them just in case. It's worth putting an ad under 'Parts Wanted', though.
There's an HA0-146 box for sale here - but it's in France:

https://www.palace-de-lancienne.com/products/boite-de-vitesse-hao-146-pour-renault-4l-gtl/

The problem with replacing all the damaged parts is that they'd cost more than a new box (I think a replacement box for £50 was mentioned earlier in this thread).
This is the relevant parts page:

SCAN0020 (2).JPG
One suggestion: If part (11) in the diagram - 7700623376 for HA0-146 boxes, according to this page - is damaged, I've found one here:

https://www.milanuncios.com/otros-recambios/pinon-cta-kms-renault-7700630559-124684618.htm (they seem to have several different ones, but it's the 3rd photo down).

You could then try and get a second-hand front cover with all the relevant bits in.
This link is to the sister site (I think) of the one I mentioned earlier. This cover is for an HA0-163 (van) box, but they or the other site will know where to find one for an HA0-146. Much cheaper postage this way!

https://www.4l-land.com/products/nez-de-boite-de-vitesse-hao163/

This might be of interest too:

https://www.milanuncios.com/recambi...recambio-renault-ref-7700520716-263923909.htm

Hope this helps - and hope you can get a positive identification on your gearbox.
By the way, please double-check all part numbers - it's been a long day!

This is what I have left fron an old gearbox. I don't have the ID, because I threw it away some time ago. If you are interested, send me message. IMG_20190217_140126.jpgIMG_20190217_140137.jpgIMG_20190217_140159.jpg

Hi. Everybody.
I can't believe how helpful you all are, I am going to think about my best options over the next few weeks and I will let you know how it's going. I think I may as well put a wanted note up for a gearbox and see where that leads.
Is there a UK show worth going to during the year to see like minded folk?

Hi. All
I have taken the front plate off of the gearbox to find the worm drive on gearbox shaft missing (previous owner told me he took plate off and a load of nylon bits fell out, so he just put it back together). The spindle in the front plate has a metal worm on it not nylon as seems to be the norm, pictures attached.
Still don't know which exact gearbox it is, looking from the front bumper towards the rear of the gearbox the spindle turns clockwise when pushed forward.
Do I just buy the part Andy found or am I missing something?
IMG_2065.JPGIMG_2066.JPGIMG_2067.JPGIMG_2068.JPGIMG_2069.JPGIMG_2070.JPGIMG_2071.JPG

You should be able to work out which box your car has by counting the number of teeth on the spindle in the front plate and then checking the result against the parts page in my earlier post.

Last edited:
Hi. 16 teeth on spindle, therefore HAO-146 if I am reading correctly. My spindle cog is metal, is this normal?

Back