Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Spotlights

I've consulted the "Good Book". Under the previous regulations, lights that dip have to be a minimum of 600mm from the road surface and any lights fitted below this height may only be used in conditions of fog or falling snow. Dipped and main beam lights must be "matched pairs" and can be either white or "selective" yellow. The current regulations make no restriction as to the minimum height, so driving lamps (main beam spot lamps) can be low, providing they're wired to be extinguished when the car's main beam lights are turned off.

The change in the rules applies to vehicles registered on or after 1st April 1991, so I would suggest that Renault 4s would fall under the old regulations, which are best summarised as this:
1/ Headlights must be "matched pairs", arranged symmetrically around the mid-line of the car, can be white or "selective" yellow and must dip together. (The manufacturer would have had knowledge of these rules and the car's lights would comply)
2/ Extra spot lamps can only be used in conjunction with the main beam and put be wired in such a way that they are extinguished when the lights are dipped.
3/ Any lights lower than 600mm may only be used in fog or falling snow. They may be either white or yellow.

I hope this is useful! If in doubt, ask your friendly M.O.T. tester!

Back