Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Sqeaky steering

Merkator Fontana

Enthusiast
Hey people ! I have got some serious squeaks coming from the wheels /suspension when i turn the steering wheel . I cannot identify the exact source.
What should i do?

Hi

The first thing I would check are the bottom ball joints which are prone to squeaking if there is little/no/dried grease under the rubbers. With the car stationary, apply a firm downward pressure to the top of the front wings and hand bounce the suspension, if you hear a squeaking noise it is most probably that the bottom ball joints are dry. This is especially noticeable when you are driving in dry weather and the noise might go away when driving in the wet. A secondary test, would be to jack up the car, gently lift the ball joint rubber and squirt some WD40 (using the attachable straw) or similar penetrating oil under the rubber. Drive the car, if the noise goes away you will know the issue is the ball joint. You could get away with re-greasing the ball joints. While you have the car jacked up you might as well check for play (movement in the ball joint). If there is play, you would be better off fitting new ball joints from a safety aspect.

Hi

The first thing I would check are the bottom ball joints which are prone to squeaking if there is little/no/dried grease under the rubbers. With the car stationary, apply a firm downward pressure to the top of the front wings and hand bounce the suspension, if you hear a squeaking noise it is most probably that the bottom ball joints are dry. This is especially noticeable when you are driving in dry weather and the noise might go away when driving in the wet. A secondary test, would be to jack up the car, gently lift the ball joint rubber and squirt some WD40 (using the attachable straw) or similar penetrating oil under the rubber. Drive the car, if the noise goes away you will know the issue is the ball joint. You could get away with re-greasing the ball joints. While you have the car jacked up you might as well check for play (movement in the ball joint). If there is play, you would be better off fitting new ball joints from a safety aspect.

Performed as you said and- the squeak is gone! But so are the ball joints it seams , no grease to be found...
Thank you for your reply , this helped me out a lot ! Cheers!

Back