Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

squeeky steering

YellowVan

Enthusiast
Hi there,
Been a while since I have been on here as too many projects on the go, but my R4 is my main transport and needs looking after so where best!!

The steering has become squeeky both when driving and when static.
I know that my front suspension is in need of replacement and dont know if this could be contributing to the problem.
Is there a lubrication point for the steering?

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks very much

There is nothing to lubricate on the steering so it is probably the suspension which needs doing, a couple of hours per side to replace everything, it's not worth doing only one joint, do them all while its on the ramp.
Allan

There is a removable cover (held by two 10mm hex bolts) where the steering column joins the rack. If you remove this cover and the plug & spring underneath you can see the rack & pinion. Pack grease into this. If this is not done occasionally the steering rack wears (excessive play). Make sure to align the steering wheel again when all is done.

From my experience, squeaks always seem to come from wishbone ball joints. Have somebody moving the steering wheel while you hear carefully at each joint, bushing etc. It's easy to pinpoint the noise.

Cheers people,
Will be having a good look and hear on sunday.
Will follow up what the probem is.
Thanks again

Im squeaky too

I would agree with John Doe about the possibility of the squeak coming from the steering column as Fifi does the same so about every 3 months a squirt of furniture polish in that area stops the problem and restores "tranquility" to the passenger compartment. However Fifi has also started a more high pitched squeak from the nearside hub area which I need to investigate. She was parked up for 5 years before I bought her and I think one or two things are starting to show her age.

Back