Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Starter motor - engine mounting bracket

Le Champ

Less Pain More Gain!
I'm having to replace the starter motor (bearings totally worn out) and read a thread recomending that the n/s engine mounting could/should be replaced at the same time. Do the rubber blocks get tired/worn and is this the part of the assembly that is referred to for replacement. (I went to the local renault dealer on Benfield Road here in Newcastle and they were friendly and helpful and bought both n/s and o/s bracket with blocks for £87.) They gave me a screen printout of the complete engine mountings and their assemblies to identify the bits I wanted. Am I changing the correct bits or is it the mounting bracket bolted to the chassis which should be renewed? I'm still psyching myself up to do the bottom front balljoints but the starter motor is more urgent and has nudged into pole position for fettling. I was known as "Brian the Mollusc" for years - A do nowt in a hurry- snail pace.:roll:

The good news is that you've found yourself a very friendly local Renault parts dealer. You only need replace the engine mountings if the rubber has become detached from the metal plates, or if the rubber has deteriorated or been contaminated by oil.

hi brian
a common problem related to starter motors is the fiddly bracket that goes over the starter is missing having been deemed surplus by a previous *mechanic*
end result is horrible clutch judder and eventuall metal fatigue snaps mounting next to block
hope your bracket is in place it is essential

by a very strange coincedence again ,i found a new ns mounting while looking for a mirror today -- weird

Hi mes amis, Thank you for your replies. Steve the mountings don't look too good and they seem soggy - the engine/gearbox/clutch wobble/vibrate/judder a lot when starting off so I have to use higher revs to compensate and get a smoother start. I had an old morris 1000 that was the same and it was transformed by new mountings. I thought this ren4 was also prone to this - hence my eagerness to part with my £87. I hoped it would help to damp down the symptoms given above. Paul, the bracket above starter was there but not tightened and it makes sense that this might contribute to my shake rattle and role through possible clutch judder. The clutch seems quite heavy and engages near the top of travel and this makes it uncomfortable to use. Is this heaviness normal? I've just filled her with 98 oct petrol and once moving she runs much smoother and accelerates better - a marked improvement - no more 2 star. I ve found the colour code, it's A 10 W 308 and is the brightest yellow I've ever seen. Is the code the same as your plein air (logo) Paul? Can anyone tell me the name of my colour?

The clutches are normally not heavy. Most likely cause is the operating shaft that goes through the gearbox casing. This gets stiff due to lack of lubricant. Try spraying WD40 where it goes into the casing and hope that some will penetrate through. Check that the cable isn't stiff either. Also clutches will get heavier as they wear but it's worth trying the first two suggestions before taking the gearbox out.

Derek of Renospeed found that this bracket was missing when we took our R4 in for clutch judder problems. See this post with pictures of the bracket.

Back