Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Starting handle dog- '68 model

Piet

Enthusiast
My understanding is the cars with the 334 gearbox only had the starting handle dog until they went to 12V electrics, and after that they kept the hole in the front bumper and bonnet for another couple of years but the dog was an extra cost option. I don't know how true that is but my car has the relevant crank handle holes but after the gearbox was replaced by one from a slightly later car (an apprentice mechanic thoughtfully jacked the car up under the gearbox and managed to shatter it) so when I eventually whip it out for an overhaul I would like to put a dog on it. Does anybody have one? And is this possible by removing a blanking plug or do you need to machine a hole for the dog and a seal, and tap a hole in the shaft?

According to the Revue Technique Automobile, the change took place in November 71. My first R4, a 1970 TL, had a starting handle dog, but my 72 doesn't, although it has the holes in the bumper, chassis and gearbox mounting. I imagine Renault just used up the stock they had.
J. Dewar McLintock mentions this in 'Renault - The cars and the charisma' :

'Renault dropped the starting handle rather surreptitiously round this time [67], but the bumper continued to have a hole for it. Some people spent their life savings on a Renault 4, only to find that they could stick the starting handle (which was also the wheel brace) through the hole in the bumper but there was no starting handle dog to engage. But the van still had a handle and dog, and those in the know just bought a dog (still listed as a spare for the van) and fitted it on the front of the crankshaft. '

This certainly wouldn't be easy on post 11/71 cars, as the front gearbox casing has no hole in it, and the gearbox primary shaft was modified:

20191204_131548.jpg

Apparently, the later 334 boxes were 334-10 for good roads (instead of 334-04), and 334-11 for poor roads and special versions (instead of 334-05).
Unfortunately, I haven't got a spare starting handle dog (ironically, the dog from my 1970 R4 ended up in Australia!), but I'm sure someone on the forum will have one.

Thanks guys! You've put me on the spot, I need to have a look and see if I have the later or earlier casing. Harbourseal I'm definitely interested.

The main issue is not the front casing but rather the primary shaft: it's longer with a machined end for a seal to run on, plus internally threaded for the starting dog.

Good point- I would hope the right casing goes with the right shaft. My casing seems to have a pressed in bung like a welch plug at the end, but being where it is, very hard to see properly.

Back