Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Steel wheel banding..maximum wheel width

David Norville

Enthusiast
Hi, has anyone had any experience of having their steel wheels banded, my car is on Fergat steels and I think they would look pretty good a touch wider.
I think they are 5.5" ,how wide can you go with standard arches ?

Hi David :),

It depends on your ride height, how soft your suspension is, how much your car rolls in corners and new replacement panels have a wider lip on the inside of the arch that can rub on wider wheels.

4.5" Fergat wheels would be better to have banded as they are more common and cheaper. Banding the 5.5" wheels is risky as they are rare and expensive wheel to replace if the banding goes wrong. Banding to any more than 6" and you will have to the change wheel arches too much so banding 5.5" wheels to 6" is a waste of money. You may also have to fit normal 5.5" tyres if the wheels are too wide to stop them rubbing and having stretched tyres can be dangerous.

5.5" is basically the widest you can go without having to cut or roll arches if your all your suspension is firm and not too low. But if you have 4.5" it may be worth you having them banded to 5.5" or 6" for the deep look if you don't mind minor adjustements.

What a great reply thanks,I shall check the width is 4.5 and not 5.5 and make a decision. I do like the banded look but I'm not sure an inch will be enough to make much of a visual differ for the expense.

Back