Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Steep learning curve... any info on shocks greatly appreciated....

Tomi

Enthusiast
Newbie back again....
I ordered some shock absorbers for my newly aquired Renault 5- I've ordered new old stock which is meant to be for my model but when they've turned up they look totally different... I'm not sure that it's a problem but thought I'd check here first because you guys know a lot more than I do before I start trying to fit them. Any ideas greatly appreciated. I know they look completely chalk and cheese but the old one is gas and sits at that size and new one is oil and stretches to that size. - I can stretch them so as they are the same size.

This is what I bought-
YOU ARE BIDDING ON A NEW OLD STOCK FRONT SHOCK ABSORBER IN ITS BOX
FITS:
RENAULT 5
MK1 MODELS
BASE & L & LS & TL & TS & TX & GTL
R1220 & R1221 & R1222 & R1224 etc.
1972 - 1984

And my car is a 1984 Renault 5tl

THANK YOU ALLshock.JPG

Tomi
Is the part number (77 00 XXX XXX) on the old (the green one in the picture) one legible?
The part numbers for Mk 1 R5 De Carbon (gas) shocks are:
7700588894 (Front; the same as R4s)
7700588893 (Rear - very different from R4s)

For Allinquant (oil) shocks:
Front: 7700585324
Rear: 7700661562

Was there a part number in the eBay listing?

Thanks for getting back so quickly Andy! Okay. First I'm a muppet- I meant back not front (have got both!). The part number on the eBay listing is Homer (make) 31-231(and the front one is 31-230) it says renault on it - but that part number is nothing like 7700XXXXXX. I can't quite make out the number on the one I've taken off but what I can read seems to fit in with the 7000588893. I'm getting that feeling I may have bought something useless and my Easter weekend of fitting new shocks has disappeared :(
Is there somewhere more useful than eBay I should be looking at for parts- much rather a real shop. It didn't have a whole list of vehicles they would fit- seemed to just be specifically for Renault 5, and my spec was in the very short list. Ebay listing number for the front was 191849924382. Nothing against Ebay or the Ebayer I'm sure it's my buying that's the problem- not their selling!
Thanks again for your help

Thanks Andy, I wrote to the Ebay seller before I posted a message here so I'll let you know how I get on. It's a lot to learn but loving working on the car :)

I've got 2 pairs of new genuine renault 5 mk1 rear shocks for sale if that helps 20 pair plus postage

• 20190412_173048.jpg
    20190412_173048.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 0
Update on the learning curve.... after the ebay bod confirmed the shocks would fit managed to fit them over the Easter weekend- yay!!!! And with the help of Andy I'll have lots more to do soon enough!!!!

Thank you!

Back