Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Steering rack

tedsteiner

I'm not mechanical!
My wife's (1986C) R4 apparently needs a new steering rack. I am told there are two pinion lengths, 38 and 115 mm, but don't know which I need. The Renault part no is 7701498307
Can anyone tell me which pinion length this is? or
How easily can I find out by getting someone to look at the car?
Does anyone know someone in Notts who understands / repairs R4s?
Ted

You don't say why you need a new rack. Is there play on the nearside bush? You used to be able to get a bush kit from Renaults to fix this. These racks are usually bullet proof.

Alternatively, get a good secondhand one from Liam (member of this site).

Steve

Thanks for the namedrop/ tip .I could help with the rack but i am unsure if i have the correct one the gentleman needs ? does anyone have a idea where you measure them for the difference ?

The pinion length on my R4 rack (1975, LHD) is 115mm,top of the two-hole flange where the coupling is rivetted (coupling removed) to end of M8 thread on the other end of the pinion. Maybe tedsteiner means 138mm??? (not 38). I think all LHD racks are the same,I don't know about RHD. On the Renault parts book, (1971-75) there is an illustration showing a LHD and a RHD rack,and the pinion on the RHD seems to extend further from the rack housing than on the LHD. Pinions are not supplied separately, so I was unable to confirm this. By the way, I think it is worth repairing a rack,bearings are standard size and In found the bush kit relatively easily and it was cheap. It is worth doing the following improvement: The top pinion bearing is a 26x20x14 needle bearing,replace this with a 26x20x12 one and drive it 2mm further in the rack (there is space). Then you can fit a 26x20x4 seal over this, there is normally no seal there. Life of the top bearing and the friction surface on the pinion will be greatly increased

Thanks for the various advice! It was the bush that had gone, not the rack.

I have found a local Renault dealer where they actually know and love R4s!! Work has all been done and the MOT passed with no fuss.
Best of all is its name - just the sort of place you'd want to trust with your classic car:

EZRA SUGDEN MOTORS, in Worksop, N Notts!

Ted Steiner

I need to do some work on steering rack. Because my translatetion into technical terms in english isn't always good I looked this part up in the haynes.

It said Gaiter(the ruber thing on both side is cracked).

My mechanical knowledge was only the full service on my R4: oil, filters(gas, oil air), drivebelts, gearbox oil, plugs.

So the question is: Can I do this at home, or should I took it to the garage?

No info.

So I went to my mechanic. First he was surprised where I found an R4 & that it's in a good shape.

Then he locked it through. We found out that he needed to change also right lower ball joint, left upper ball joint & both swivel bearings (says haynes).

The work is now done, but one month after the gearbox oil change the from the right side where the drive shaft is fitted to the gearbox.

New work again & still I need to change the brake fluid.

Back