Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Sticking clutch- any tips

branty

Enthusiast
Hello
I had my R 4 1986 GTL made road worthy 2 years ago after many years sat in the garage. I have owned it for over 20 years.
At the time the clutch was not able to be engaged but was fixed at the repairers without any need for replacement or refurbishment. After another year sat still it has happened again.
Does anyone have any tips to unstick it- I think the mechanic had a couple of techniques but I don’t remember exactly.....

Any help really appreciated .

Thanks
Jon

Hi Jon
This is the Haynes method - it's worked for me a few times!

'Try engaging a gear, with the engine stopped and the handbrake on; then depress the clutch and try starting the engine. If the clutch is seized solid the engine will not turn over but if you are lucky and the engine starts and the clutch can be slipped it should be possible to get it back to normal operation after using it a few times.'

To stop this happening if you lay it up for any length of time in the future keep the clutch pedal pushed down with a rod.

Is the cable stuck or the clutch stuck inside the gearbox? If pressing the pedal doesn't move the cable at the gearbox end at all, them perhaps the cable has rusted in the sheath.

Thanks- no the cable is fine.
I will try the tips and let you know how I get on.
Many thanks
Jon

Hi
A (very) delayed feedback!
The Haynes method worked a treat and has done for me a few times since(!). I never did put the prop on the clutch .
Anyway, now it seems fully seized up and no amount of coercion will shift it. Interestingly, there was always a mild whining sound when shifting clutch for for the first 30 miles after any medium lay up, which would settle and which I wondered was due to rust being worn of the clutch plate screw heads- anyone any thoughts about that?

So I guess I need to have the clutch overhauled and replaced- does anyone think there is an alternative and if not, what parts do I need ?

Many thanks
Jon

Back