Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Superquatre

RichardIRL

Enthusiast
Renault did make some Renault 4-inspired prototypes in the late 1970's for their planned vehicule bas de gamme but this one seems to have a very interesting history as it seems to have been initiate by Renault workers themselves in the hopes of saving Billancourt.

It's not a beauty, but they really tried to keep some R4 cues, including the bonnet pattern, door shapes and rear number plate shape.

There was obviously a lot of feeling for both the car and the factory. The website below tells the story

http://renaultconcepts.online.fr/divers/neutral4.htm

• superquatre1.jpg
    superquatre1.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 4
  • superquatre2.jpg
    superquatre2.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 4
  • superquatre3.jpg
    superquatre3.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 4
Renault did make some Renault 4-inspired prototypes in the late 1970's for their planned vehicule bas de gamme but this one seems to have a very interesting history as it seems to have been initiate by Renault workers themselves in the hopes of saving Billancourt.

It's not a beauty, but they really tried to keep some R4 cues, including the bonnet pattern, door shapes and rear number plate shape.

There was obviously a lot of feeling for both the car and the factory. The website below tells the story

http://renaultconcepts.online.fr/divers/neutral4.htm

Fascinating article, see pdf attachment for an English translation

• Renault 4 successor NEUTRAL.pdf
    408.6 KB · Views: 18
I have been trying to find photographs of the Renault VBG prototypes from the early 80's or late 70's that showed subtle similarities to the R4 but I can't seem to.
But here is a different concept that Renault proffered in the early 90's. I think it's R4-inspired, based on stance and general silhouette, the front bumper and it's 'overriders', the crease in the doors just below the handles, rear door outline and headlight / grille layout.

• frontq.jpg
    frontq.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 0
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 0
Looks like they made it with the dacia duster now :)

Back