Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Surrounded by Renault 4's

drachirsiwel

Hello, I find myself in the Algarve Portugal, my wife got herself a job here. I have seen lots of Renault 4's here and lots of adverts too, they appear to be in really good condition but obviously LHD. I am planning to find myself one as a general Daily Driver for local running about, surfboard on the roof for beach runs etc, apart from the really great advice and photos in the forums, is there any particular advice? Apparently some people put a 1.3 Twingo engine with the associated electronics? is that worth while? Apart from the Gordini engine ones, what other useful Renault engines would offer some pep, practicality and reliability or is is sacrilege?

It's personal taste for engines. The original ones last for ever so no reliability concerns so long as they are serviced.

Updating engines for power is a personal choice. I put a Gordini engine in one but don't think it suits the car. Makes a nice noise and wants to go fast. The standard engine is much more relaxing in day to day driving.

Best power mod is the carburettor and inlet manifold from a Mk1 Renault 5. That increases the power from 34bhp to 45bhp. Makes the car more useable in modern traffic.

Another worthwhile engine swap is the 1400 R5 TX engine combined with a 5 speed gearbox. Needs less work compared to the Alpine/Gordini engine. Having lots of low end torque, it suits the R4 better.

I've thrown a sports exhaust with sidepipe on my late 83 845cc tl, and after 15000km I think it's completely fine in daily traffic, and also when hauling three grown men, their luggage and a lot of beer, through Belgium at 105 km/h

But as a LHD kind'a'guy I think I have to pop down there and haul back a solid 4 more some day.

It's personal taste for engines. The original ones last for ever so no reliability concerns so long as they are serviced.

Updating engines for power is a personal choice. I put a Gordini engine in one but don't think it suits the car. Makes a nice noise and wants to go fast. The standard engine is much more relaxing in day to day driving.

Best power mod is the carburettor and inlet manifold from a Mk1 Renault 5. That increases the power from 34bhp to 45bhp. Makes the car more useable in modern traffic.
Where would a lad get one of those?

Back