Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Tailgate wanted

Beige Belgian

Enthusiast
Hi, a few weeks ago, I bought myself a Renault 4 GTL, as I have fancied getting one for a while. Its a 1985 Beige LHD car imported from Belgium around 15 years ago.

When driving the car around the North Circular on the way home, a dozey bloke in a brand new Mercedes went into the back of me, in the stop start traffic, was doing less than 10 mph.

The dent isn't really too bad but needs sorting out. The car's tailgate was very rusty anyway, so I was after a replacement anyway, if anyone has one? The rear bumper is bent a bit too, so am after one of those aswell.

I am driving the car up North this weekend to assess the damage and try and straighten it. My main worry is the floor of the boot, its a bit crumpled. I have had a look under the parcel shelf but can't really tell, as the lock is stuck and I don't want to force it open. Will assess on Friday. Is the boot floor part of the shell or can these be replaced?

Apart from that really enjoying the car

Last edited:
I hope that you are going to claim on his insurance. Get a proper estimate as the parts will still be available from Renault. They will write the car off and you can buy it back (or they may even give it to you) and use the money to get a proper job done.

Tailgate no longer needed, due to amazing bit of luck! Steve thanks for the response, you were probably right to do as you say. Anyway have new (to the car anyway) tailgate fitted (albeit in metallic blue rather than Beige) and floor is sorted, will still replace rear bumper at some point, but its not bad anyway, just need to find one, but no rush.

Was on a Vintage car trial in Derbyshire at the weekend, friend (who I was staying with) turned up in another Renault 4, and a marshall on the event who they didn't know spoke to them and said that he has some magnesium alloy wheels and a tailgate if they want them, free to pick up! Arrive after event at friends to see a new tailgate next to my car! Fitted in the morning and drove back to London yesterday.

Will paint it, just need to find the correct Renault beige paint.

Finally, the mirror fell out of the nearside wing mirror somewhere up t'north. Am keen to find another!?!

Glad you managed to sort it. I suggest that you go to Renault for the mirror glass and the bumper if you can't get any second-hand ones.

If you do get hit again then please go the insurance route or at least get a realistic sum from the idiot who hits you!

Steve, do you receive some form of financial incentive from Renault, maybe reduced price parts?
As you're overly keen to recommend them for each and every possible part required by any of us for our vehicles.
I'm beginning to suspect that you're building a 'brand new' R4 with parts gleaned from Renault for your salesmanship!:wink:
Lost a dustcap and a lightbulbs popped, i'm of to Renault!:D

Well Rudi - your comments tell me that you read all my postings - so thanks for that.;)
No, I don't get a back hander from Renault - wish I did! When people ask about R4 specific items that can't be obtained from a factor e.g Headlamps, bumpers and some body panels then I always recommend a dealer. I also take into account the circumstances - if somebody's failed the MOT on a headlamp then they've got the option of waiting weeks for a second-hand one to turn up or get one the next day from a dealer and the car's off the road for a minimum amount of time:) If somebody needs a bumper, they can afford to shop around as it's not a crucial item. Another thing is that if the 4 is being used as daily transport to work and back, it needs sorting now if something goes wrong. If the person lives on a bus route, then it's its not so urgent. There are many variables to take into consideration and it's up to the owner to decide what to do. I know that genuine parts are dear so there is the financial aspect to consider as well. Some people can afford to go genuine, others wait until second-hand bits turn up.

....and I do have a large stock of new genuine bits. Well, my local dealer liked me so much that I did get a nice discount:D

Next time you're my way I think I may be able to help with a second-hand bulb - at a knock down price of course;)

:D More Reasons to go to Renault first:
They made the car in the first place so it's their problem!
New bits are less rusty than old bits.
Renault are running out of bits fast so no time to look elsewhere.

Back