Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Tailored outdoor car cover

Scoobyznack

Enthusiast
Hello all,

Once my new-to-me R4 is back home at the end of the month it will have to live outdoors for a period.

I use a tailored car cover on my other motor, and rate it - but the supplier doesn't cover R4's.

I've done a quick search here and can't find any threads on car covers, does everyone except me have a garage?

Also looking online I found the Stormforce cover from these people, which at first glance looks like a good deal:

https://www.carscovers.co.uk/RENAULT-4-CAR-COVER-1961-1993.html

Just wondering if anyone has any good or bad experiences or other thoughts to share :)

Many thanks, Simon.

Coincedently was browsing through the all4renault site today, they list taylored covers for 4 saloons, didnt read/translate to see if there indoor or outdoor covers though, there in the extra accessory bit

Just noticed the price difference!!

Years ago I bought a cover for mine at LIDL, it suits really good but I'm just not a real fan of car covers, so I didn't really use it for long.
This is how it looked:
664663_460649660643406_542400190_o.jpg

I've got the same one from lidl.. Does the job to keep the rubbish off it, mines parked in the garage full time

Make sure you get a breathable cover. They have a soft lining and let water evaporate out through them. The impervious covers pictured above would trap water against the paint causing lots of tiny paint blisters than can only be fixed by a respray. I'm using this one outside for my dead Peugeot - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078W7DDT2/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_1 Most of them tie down with straps underneath the car so fitting becomes less important.

I bought a cheap cover (17 Euro) for my Peugeot which stands outside. After one summer, it disintegrated in a strong wind and 3 months later I was still picking up pieces of plastic in the garden.

Thanks for all the replies!
I’ve taken the plunge & ordered a breathable tailored cover from the vendor I posted the link to. When car and cover are both in place I’ll report back with pics.
Simon.

Bit late on this but see below a couple of photos of my stormforce cover. I use it all year round. Whilst it is breathable I also made a frame to improve ventilation. You can see it in the photo with the cover half on. This is the second cover I have had and the last one lasted just short of 3 years.IMAG0047.jpgIMAG0046.jpg

Don't know what the material is. It just says "4 layer". It is very waterproof and soft on the inside.

Hello all,
Quick pic of my new cover in use - fit is a bit baggy, but this means no probs fitting over door mirrors and wing-mounted radio aerial. As John M says, I guess good for air circulation too. Retaining straps are ok to use, and the cover has stayed in place & been waterproof so far.
99289318-A570-41E3-9885-264DD7C4F89B.jpeg

I found a reasonable priced standard sized campervan breathable cover on sale-soft 2 or 3 layer, In old Blighty you'd probably find it at
Halfords et cet.measured the silhouette R and L side added width of
Roffen the F4, cut the 3 pieces to size then sweet-talked my good wife to sew it all togheter and soon after had a tailored cover that fits
to a T.
kept the lower elastics in front and rear..Now if you said it wasn't Born to fit our F4 my wife would be all over you with claws and fangs
-consider yourself Warned ! (of course I take All cred for it at various car-meets c",)
It even has a zipper to ease acces via drivers-door.
-Reid.

Last edited:
'Nother small tip re.covers-if you can -Do make a pair of triangular flaps (front and rear of roof) if parked under roof suspend by rope
-Always good to have some free air between cover and roof. -Reid.

Back