Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Tech tips help

newtome

Enthusiast
Hi, the below is from the tech tips section

Munroe

There are two types. Avoid the normal ones as they have an excessively soft ride from new and a tendency to fail after a few months of normal driving (because they are not gas pressurised). Munroe do make gas pressurised dampers and these have good reports - these might be the best alternative to DeCarbon.

Does anyone have the part number, 1982 TL R4, so I can get some new Munroe's. I check on there site and nothing for R4's...............

Thanks

Hi again,

I'm in Italy and can't get Munroe,DeCarbon or Delphi(spelling???). but talking with the auto part guy here, he said that KYB or SACHS would work. They are all gas and cost is 175.00 Euro for all 4. Anybody have any thoughts/comments.

Sorry, just went over tech tips again (Now they are selling Sachs Boge dampers. The rears will last approximately 1 mile at speed on a bad surface. The fronts last well but become soft.)

So that leaves KYB.............

Thanks

For the rear any gas pressurised damper should be fine. Those are the ones that come supplied with a strap around them to prevent them from expanding. I didn't realise SACHS could supply gas pressurised rear dampers. Maybe they do over there? We don't get anything nice in the UK.

For the front it is less important, but something reasonable quality is best. SACHS are OK for the front.

I've not tried KYB.

Hi Malcolm,

Just ran over to the Autopart store here (only 2 min walk) and yes SACHS do have the gas dampers for the rear, so picking up tomorrow. My problem is finding gas for the front, not in stock but he calling around and will probaly have to go with Munroe in front. Just to make it clear for me, the strap is only there to keep the damper closed while in the box, it comes off when it goes on the car (the only stupid question is the one you don't ask, Right).

Thanks again

Yes the strap it just because it would expand and need a bigger box. Remove it to fit the dampers to the car.

It's not so important to have gas pressurised on the front. It's only important for the rears because they are horizontal. For the front I'd guess Munroe gas pressurised are better than Sachs non-pressurised, but the Sachs would be better than Munroe non-pressurised (which are too soft).

Thanks for the advise Malcolm, now any thing special I need to know before I start changing them out.

Carl

Can't think of much in the way of advice. For the rear dampers the metal cups that hold the rubber bush at the rear can sometimes be too large a diameter and foul the chassis (they should move with the damper so shouldn't touch the chassis). Worth keeping hold of all the old bits until the new dampers are fitted and you are happy with them just in case.

My grey '71 had KYB Gas-a-just dampers when I bought it, and they seem to perform very well. It's a surprise for me since I had bad experience with KYB on modern cars.
I have not tried Sachs/Boge on a R4 but on 2CVs Boge shocks are notoriously scrappy, I had the unfortunate opportunity to confirm it.

Back